fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "MRS. Linda Michael" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 21:57:53 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: HELLO GOOD DAY MY DEAR
HELLO GOOD DAY MY DEAR
This to bring to your notice that because of the impossibility
of your fund transfer network,the Government is happy to pay your
funds to you with peace of mind through bank to bank wire transfer,
i paid $1480 on your behalf,but please you have to keep this payment secret
for me because we are not allowed to do that here in this office, but to the
good spirit i am to God i paid for you because I was satisfied of what you have
spent by the hand of bad people that are going to make of bad things to good people,
this time your funds will be paid to you successful.
I have signed for transfer to you yesterday and has less than 21 days
to expire in the custody of the Bank, the money will go into Federal Government
treasury account. With that i decided to help you repay the money so that the
funds will not expire, because I trust that when you receive your funds definitely
you must pay me back my money and even compensate me for helping you.
Now, I want you to know the only hold, see below document, file it and sign,
retune back, they demanded that it will cost you $480, but i only have $210, so
please i want you to cheek your self with good faith and tell me if you can
go now and send me the only balance there which is $270 usd, keep me posted
now in order that everything can be immediately be made today and concluded with
good faith, success good news.
As I ' have said earlier, that everything about your funds released has being
concluded apart from the only $270 i don't have to finish it,I'll send
you a copy of receipt of payment i use to pay 1480 $ for you, once i hear back
from you to continue..
We have agreed with the authority that you will handle this balance payment ourselves
to avoid the hopeless situation created by those officials. Currently your
Inheritance/Contract funds has been approved.
Your Current Address is needed to avoid any mistake, maybe it has changed, file below
to avoid any mistake please.
Full Contact address.:
Private phone number.:
Next Of Kin.:
MRS. Linda Michael,( email@example.com )