fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "i will like you to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "united state of america" (this email uses bad English)
- "certified bank draft" (Beware of any scheme that involves cashing checks or money orders and then wiring a portion of the funds somewhere - you'll be liable for the entire amount if the checks or money orders turn out to be fake, even after you have received and forwarded cash. If it's a lottery prize, remember that real lotteries do not pay large prizes by check. They wire the money directly to your bank account and you do not pay for that. Many scammers promise a large check only in order to then demand payment of courier fees for a fake courier service. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "G.M" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 17:20:30 -0400
Subject: UNFINISHED TRANSACTION
How are you today? I hope this mail meets you in a perfect condition. I am using this opportunity to thank you for your great effort to our unfinished transaction For attempting to help me transfer the sum of ( THREE Million Eight Hundred Thousand United State Of America Dollars) to your foreign account,
am sorry for presenting and using someone else in your name to get this transaction successful. Due to logistic reasons and your inconsistency to the other best known to you. Right now, I want to inform you that I have successfully cleared the bank draft to someone else account who was capable of assisting me in this great venture that have been over and successful.
Due to your effort, sincerity, courage and trustworthiness you showed at the course of the transaction I want to compensate you and show my gratitude to you with the sum of ( THREE Million Eight Hundred Thousand United State Of America Dollars). I have authorized Mr. ROBERT McDONALD where I deposited the money with a finance company to issue you An international certified Bank draft, cash-able at your bank or any where as your choice felt. My dear friend I will like you to contact Mr. ROBERT McDONALD for the collection of this international certified Bank Draft below is His name and contact address is as follows:
Name: Robert McDonald
PHONE NUMBER: +1(402)629-0425
ADDRESS: Nebraska USA
Contact Director Robert McDONALD because At the moment am very busy here in Belgium because of the investment projects which myself and my new partner are having at hand,Finally remember that I have forwarded instructions to Robert McDONALD on your behalf to send Bank DRAFT SUM of (THREE Million Eight Hundred Thousand USD ONLY) to you as soon as you contact him without delay. Please I will like you to accept this token with good faith as this is from the bottom of my heart. Use this code(ME-4980) as the subject of your mail to them for identification Okay?
Thanks God bless you and your family. Hope to hear from you soon as you've getting my compensation and please do not get angry because that is what I have for now till I finish my project.