fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Shirley Underwood" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 00:05:58 -0700
Subject: URGENT REQUEST
Please accept my greetings and i hope this messages meets you well today.
My name is Shirley Underwood a 57 years old widow. I'm a real estate
consultant & developer in Ireland, that is what I did for a living until I
developed a terminal illness that is making me not practically fit to run
my business that led me into winding up my business 3 years ago and moved
my capital and profit to a Wealth/Asset Management in the U.S due to the
fact that my late husband was from Lansing Michigan with the perception of
distributing the funds to the less privilege as I'm an orphan myself or
support businesses that require funding especially in real estate though
other businesses would also be welcomed.
The purpose of this email is to propose an investment plan to you using my
funds with the security company in USA. Regardless of where you are, IN or
OUTSIDE the US, I will be willing to support your business on the basis
that 30% of your turnover from my capital given to you would be used for
charity donations. This is absolutely risk free and requires no payment to
acquire. I am doing this because I have less than 3 months to live .I
therefore need a reliable fellow to champion my course by receiving this
funds, investing it in private business and donating 30% of profit
generated to the less privilege or if you are not into any business, you
can receive the funds as my next of kin and assist me in distributing it to
the less privilege but you must be honest ,do not bother responding if you
are not honest or sincere but if you are Reply me to this email if you are
interested for further details.VIA email@example.com
With my best regards,