fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "ATM DELIVERY" <"www.andy."@fancy.ocn.ne.jp>
Reply-To: FRANK LUGAN <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 22:41:30 +0900 (JST)
Subject: ATTENTION: ATM MASTER CARD OWNER
ATTENTION: ATM MASTER CARD OWNER,
WE HERE BY NOTIFYING YOU THAT UBA BANK PLC HAVE BEEN
MANDATED TO ISSUE
OUT YOUR PAYMENT OF $8.5 million USD THROUGH ATM CARD.
YOU HAVE TO STOP
FURTHER COMMUNICATION WITH ANY OTHER PERSON(S) OR
OFFICE(S) OR MINISTRY OF
FINANCE AFRICA TO AVOID HITCHES IN RECEIVING YOUR ATM
CARD PAYMENT. UBA
BANK MANAGER HAVE CONFIRMED AUTOMATION OF YOUR SWIFT
PAYMENT THROUGH AN
ELECTRONIC ATM CARD PAYMENT. THE BANK HAVE ARRANGED YOUR
CARD PAYMENT CENTER ASIA PACIFIC THIS CARD CENTER WILL
SEND YOU AN ATM CARD
WHICH YOU WILL USE TO WITHDRAW YOUR MONEY IN ANY ATM
MACHINE IN ANY PART OF
THE WORLD . THE MAXIMUM DAILY WITHDRAWAL IS $15,000USD
PER DAY. A TOTAL OF
$15,000USD AT A TIME. NOW YOU ARE TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR
FUND BY CONTACTING
THE BANK TODAY. THIS IS A SPECIAL ARRANGEMENT IN
COLLABORATION WITH MASTER
KINDLY CONTACT THE BELOW PERSON WHO IS IN POSITION TO
RELEASE YOUR ATM
PAYMENT CARD TO YOU. YOU ARE REQUESTED TO FORWARD TO
UBA BANK TELL: (+229-98208062)
1. Your Full Name:
2. HOME Address:
4. Telephone Numbers:
5. Attach Scan Copies Of Your ID Proof And Recent Photo
NOTE THAT BECAUSE OF IMPOSTORS THE (UBA BANK) HEREBY
ISSUED YOU OUR CODE