fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: MR MIKE PENCE <"USA."@orion.ocn.ne.jp>
Reply-To: MR MIKE PENCE <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 05:54:26 +0900 (JST)
Subject: ASSIGNED BY THE PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP..... OVERDUE FUND RELEASED
ASSIGNED BY THE PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP..... OVERDUE FUND RELEASED TODAY
I am Mr Mike Pence, and I am writing to inform you about your Bank Check Draft brought back by the United Embassy from the government of Benin Republic in the white house Washington DC been mandated to be deliver to your home address once you reconfirm it with the one we have here with us to avoid wrong delivery of your check draft
Eighteen million united states dollars $18,000,000,00usd that was assigned to be delivered to your humble home address by Honorable president Donald Trump the president of this great country this week by a delivery agent MR ROCHAS JESUS
Also reconfirm your details for the check delivery by filling the form below and send it immediately for verification and for prompt collection of your fund.
Fill The Form Below:
1. Full Names :
2. Residential Address :
3. Mobile Number:
4. Fax Number :
5. Occupation :
6. Sex :
7. Age :
8. Nationality :
9. Country :
10. Marital Status :
Accept my hearty congratulation again!
MR MIKE PENCE
1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500, United States