fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "power of attorney" (with your bank details and a power of attorney form criminals sometimes empty bank accounts)
- "high court" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
Fraud email example:
From: "Obasanjo & Associates" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 05:18:38 -0700
Subject: Attn: Benefactor/ Bailout
I am contacting you concerning your outstanding payment claim of $10.5M which I
had personal verified in the government gazette for payment,
undermining several deference in the past because of your inability to
meet up all the mandatory financial obligation required therein -
taxes.levies,bank charges etc..
However .I have found a way out and solution to your financial
incapability and to partner with you,
A third party investor/financier is interested and willing to partner
with you to get and make your claim fund payment a reality only if you
will agree on this terms and conditions
1. He the financier would take 15% after the $10.5M claim funds has been paid to
you. which is waiting for pick up by you but only after all financial
obligations have been met.
2. For the whole fund claim process to work smoothly I will be your attorney
and sole representative here to supervise the payment process of the
funds,the financier would invest by make money available to fuel/
facilitate your claim payment process based on my evaluation
and recommendation, these will be backed up
with power of attorney from you authorizing me solely as your only
3. A legal agreement as an Assurance Guaranty Certificate will be procured by
you via a high Court here binding all parties with certification documents
in your name/status as the recipient/ beneficiary of the loan from the
investor/financier in accordance of terms and conditions therein to avoid
default on your part as your name/Status reflects as the
account beneficiary.in case you deflect with the whole money.
Please respond immediately so we can proceed with your project on time with
your following details
1,Your Full Names
3.Direct tel/cell numbers
4.Any form of Identification via scanned copy.
Obasanjo & Associates