fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "contact me immediately" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "you are advise to" (this email uses bad English)
- "foreign exchange" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- "central bank of nigeria" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: FNG NOTICE <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 09:45:34 -0700
This is to notify you that your case was presented to us and was
deliberated upon Last Monday during the on going National Economic
Summit of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in the presence of the
president,Federal Republic Of Nigeria,the Governor Central Bank of
Nigeria and other key economic policy matters.
It was discovered to the dismay of all participants that your payment
has been unnecessarily delayed despite been cleared by the authorized
Financial regulatory bodies. It was discovered that some unscrupulous
individuals aiming to frustrating all your efforts have removed some
vital documents from your payment file
However, a 7-man harmonization, normalization,
notarization,computerization and re-documentation committee has been
set up to finally perfect all the necessary documentation to that
After much strict scrutiny on your file, we discovered that some top
government officials in Nigeria especially in banks are working
against your interest in this case.in other to collect money from you
before transferring of your fund.
We have decided to go into a pact with reputable Banks to settle your
payment.and you are advise to withdraw all correspondence with any
office in charged of this payment, as your fund will be wire to you
within the next 48hours .
You are to contact me immediately for the setting up of your
accredited payment access code number, password and allocation of
foreign exchange for your Payment through your nominated bank.
As soon as you contact me your payment will be processed and
approved.You will either received the amount through Telegraphic
Transfer or by a certified International bank draft from my office. Or
You may be able to receive the fund via Electronic Voice Transmission
System (E.v.t.s) This Process will avail you the opportunity to make
the transfer by your self with a presidential seal number for
protection that will be given to you by my office and also confirm
your fund in your account the same day.
If by the end of 24hours you have not contacted this office WITH YOUR
INFORMATION'S TOGETHER WITH YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER , you will consider
this payment cancelled
Call me immediately on my Telephone : +2348021201877
Senate President Federal Rep of Nigeria