fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: MR PATRI CK BEN <"WW.."@snow.ocn.ne.jp>
Reply-To: MR PATRI CK BEN <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 03:08:20 +0900 (JST)
Subject: NOTIFICATION OF YOUR PAYMENT VIA ATM VISA CARD This is to
NOTIFICATION OF YOUR PAYMENT VIA ATM VISA CARD This is to officially inform
you that we have verified your contract file Presently on my desk Your ATM
Card of $10.500.000.0 US D has been approved And was deposited with DHL
Delivery Company this morning for registration, And we agreed up that the
delivery of Your $10.500.000.0 Million US D ATM Package will take off
tomorrow morning .So contact with your full info Where your ATM card will be
(1) Full name---------
(2) Mobile Number: --------------
(3) Direct telephone number------
(4) Country of origin: --------
(5) Your Current delivery address: ----
(6) Occupation/ age/ sex-----
(7) City -------------------
Urgent get back to us today with your full address where your ATM card Will
be delivered to because i will not be in the office next week.
Contact email The amount in your Card is US10.500.000.0 Million and your Pin
code is: (9106).
MR PATRI CK BEN