fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "i will like you to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
Fraud email example:
From: "MR. ANDERSON BROWN" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 13:31:18 -0700
Subject: RE:US$15,500,000.00 BANK TO BANK TELEGRAPHIC TRANSFER INTO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT !!!
FROM THE DESK OF: MR. ANDERSON BROWN
HSBC BANK PLC.
My Esteemed Friend/Partner,
RE: US$15,500,000.00 BANK TO BANK TELEGRAPHIC TRANSFER INTO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT
Greetings to you!!!!!!!!!
I will like you to understand that, this is no spam message. Your attention to this message will be highly appreciated for the mutual benefit of both of us. I need just your trust, understanding and co-operation to accomplish this transaction for the mutual benefit of both of us.
I am your friend Mr. Anderson Brown, Director Allocation Department of HSBC Bank Plc here in London. My office monitors and controls the affairs of all banks and financial institutions in England concerned with foreign payment claims. I am the final signatory to any transfer or remittance of huge funds moving within banks both on the local and international levels in line with foreign payment claim settlements.
I have before me lists of funds which could not be transferred to some nominated accounts as these accounts have been identified either as dormant, closed or ghost accounts /unclaimed deposits and over-invoiced sums of funds etc.
On this note therefore, I wish to have a deal with you as regards to an unpaid fund in the total amount of US$15,500,000.00 which will be transferred directly to your bank account. I have a file before me and the data is correct and un-tampered with. As it is my duty to recommend the transfer of these surplus funds to the Treasury and Reserve accounts as unclaimed deposits.
This is a clean Deal but we shall back it up with some legal approved documents which I will take the responsibility to process from the appropriate quarters and forward them to you when completed.
I have the opportunity to write to you based on the instructions I received two days ago from the Foreign Debts reconciliation department to submit the list of payment reports expenditures and audited reports of revenues.
Among several others, I have decided to contact you as my partner and to remit this unclaimed sum of money following my idea that we can have a deal /agreement and I am going to do this legally with all vital documents officially processed in your favour.
1) The sum of US$15,500,000.00 (Fifteen Million, Five Hundred Thousand, United States Dollars) only will be transferred into your account after the processing of all relevant legal documents with your name as the sole beneficiary of the fund. The transfer will be made by Swift Telegraphic Transfer T/T confirmable into your bank account within few working days.
2) This deal must be kept secret forever and all correspondences will be strictly by email / telephone for security purposes when necessary.
3) There should be no third parties as most problems associated with this kind of transaction and fund release are caused by third party agents or representative. All vital legal documents will be processed and forwarded to you as the bonafide beneficiary of the fund and absolutely no risk is involved
If you AGREE with my conditions, l advice you to send the following information to me as soon as possible:
(FILL THIS FORM BELLOW PLEASE AND RESEND IT TO ME).
Your name in full:.......................... ........
Your Full Address:
Your cell phone:....................................
Your occupation:.................... ...............
The Name of your Bank:
The Address of your Bank:
The Account No:
The Swift Code:
The Routing No: (if any)
When we receive the above information from you, it will be used to process the legal fund transfer approval documents hence you will stand as the beneficiary /owner of the funds. The fund transfer paper work will be legally processed and made available to you when finally completed. And the transfer will commence without delay as I will proceed to fix your name on the Payment schedule instantly to meet the 7 days mandate.
A) You will be entitled to 40% of the total sum of US$15,500,000.00, 60% will be for me and my colleagues and the business will be successfully concluded within the shortest possible time hence the necessary fund transfer approval documents will be processed and forwarded to you prior to the remittance of the funds.
From our own share of the funds, we are going to invest in buying shares, Invest in Real Estate and more especially in taking care of less privileged including the motherless in your Country which is our top priority.
Take note that there is absolutely no trouble/ risk involved in this transaction as all the legal fund transfer approval papers backing the authenticity of the funds will be procured from the appropriate authorities/ministries and made available to you.
I hope you will not reject this wind fall offer hence I need your mutual cooperation to have this fund transferred to your bank account for our utilization, however, remember that this is a DEAL and you must keep the transaction as highly confidential.
I will be waiting for your reply as soon as possible. Kindly send your reply to my direct Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
MR. ANDERSON BROWN