fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "required fee " (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "processing fee" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- agreed upon by the executives/board of trustee. firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com remember that your document (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "General Secretary, Antonio Guterres" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 08:07:22 +0800
Subject: IMPORTANT NOTICE!!!
UNITED NATIONS COMPENSATION
DEPARTMENT FOR FUNDS RELEASE.
OUR REF: U.N.C.C.A.D.F.R 0/2/22/2017.
405 East 42nd Street, New York, NY, 10017,
The Compensation Fund | UNCC
This is to notify all concerned persons who is a beneficiary of the United Nations Compensation Commission Funds for all internet victims or persons being extorted money from by any means related to the internet contract payment execution of transactions that are yet to receive their Compensation payments via the desired means. The out gone administrators tried all they could to deliver on this Compensation project but was not done in holistic. On behalf of them our sincere apologies to all the awaiting beneficiaries. Your Compensation Funds sum of US $ 10,500.000.00 million dollars is intact,available and safe.
As the new executives emerges and assume office, series of meeting has been held and conclusively, we have informed all Banks and Agencies/agent that are assigned to handle the release of your long awaited funds to suspend the processing. The executives want to look into this Compensation project critically! We have received feedback from some Banks and Agents that most of the beneficiaries refused to adhere strictly to pay the required fee that would be used to process the documents which will authenticate smooth and ease the release of their funds.
You are advised to comprehend the procedure of documentation processing with what it entails and pay your outstanding fee as it will facilitate the quick release of your Compensation Funds!
NOTE: By virtue of known fact, we can't confined in some agents/officers anymore as we have had about some individuals, officers defrauding people through this project to enrich themselves. Henceforth, do not contact any agent till further notice but you can reach me or my deputy directly via our private email as agreed upon by the Executives/Board of Trustee.
Remember that your document processing fee is compulsory and it is $450 only.
Any receiver of this information who has contacted or that are yet to contact any agent in regards to his/her Compensation Funds should also reach me or my deputy via the above email for confirmation of his or her eligibility to the Funds with your detailed Nationality, Residential, Occupation, age, identity card and telecommunication information and i shall treat your issue with utmost confidential and your Funds will be release without delay.
Hopefully, your response is vital.
Yours in Service,
General Secretory of the
Antonio Manuel de Oliveira Guterres
This message may contain confidential and / or privileged information. If you're not the recipient or the person authorized to receive this message, you can not use, copy or disclose the information contained therein or take any action based on this information. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it.
ALL CORRESPONDENCE TO THE EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org