fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "calvary greetings" (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 17:52:03 +0200
Subject: DIVINE DONATION FROM ME, PLEASE DO REPLY ME ASAP !!!
Dearest in Christ,
Calvary Greetings in the name of our lord Jesus Christ our savoir.
My name is Mrs. Lucy Cart, wife to the late Gerald Cart from Europe, i am old i have no family no kids, i lost my husband and my only two kids in a motor accident five years ago it's so sad for me right now, i am very ill with cancer, doctors says i have short time to live, i have decided to give my wealth to an honest person that can use it to glorify the name of the lord.
After i received instruction from my God to use this fund to do GODS work and to give to charity, i prayed to God for direction and he has been directing me. I told God that i want a ministry, or an honest person who will spend the fund for things that will glorify His name. This revelation came after my conversion from sinner to a Born Again Christian.
I received Christ and i found out that a sinner has no place in the kingdom of God. I never had rest of mind, I seek God for forgiveness and he revealed to me that i will only have rest of mind if i serve him with all my wealth and he will bless me mightily.
It was when i received Christ that i realized the meaning of going to heaven need to make heaven; i don't want to perish in hell fire. As my level of Christianity was increasing, i understood that the wealth of sinners is acquired for the just. God opened my eyes to the book of Ecclesiastes 6, verses 1 & 2. Read this scripture and you will understand that there are people in this world that God gave the grace to acquire wealth yet God did not give them the grace to enjoy the wealth.
I happened to fall into the same category now it is the wish of God.When God revealed to me to use my wealth to do his work, I understood that God was testing me like He tested Abraham and other men of God.Abraham needed a child and God asked him to use his only son for sacrifice, Abraham was faithful. He obeyed and God made him father of many nations.
After the death of my late husband and when i was told about my illness i have to sell all our properties which amounted to about $22 million which i deposited with Bank for safety purpose if anything happen to me this funds will be impounded, can you use this funds for
Please reply me on my private below Email: email@example.com
AWAIT YOUR PROMPT REPLY.
In His Service,
Mrs. Lucy Cart Gerald