fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "affidavit of claim" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "affidavit " (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "N.Pam" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 11:38:19 -0700
Subject: Hello Request For Partnership.
I know this message meet you well, I am Mr. N. Wash Pam, The Vault Manager with a private Security in Ghana. I have a business proposal running into Millions of United States of American Dollars cash staked and concealed Fours Different Boxes/Consignments deposited in our Security Vault as Unclaimed Items. Which I want to seek for your kind assistance to join hands with me to execute and champion this Transaction.
Five 5 Months ago, the Management & Board of Directors of our company deliberately resolved and presented a new policy to move the company forward, in view of the new year resolution they gallantly resolved that every Consignment that has exceeded the Duration of 10 years without the Depositor/Owner coming for claims and collection be removed from the Vault and disposed off to create Spaces to accommodate incoming Consignments/Boxes/Items. Hence my office was mandated as the Vault Manager scrutinize and declare these consignments/Boxes/Items for immediate disposal when I personally carried out Thorough Scanning on these Consignments /Boxes only to discover that few of these deposits have image of money in the currency of United States of American Dollars US$ Cash.
Hence I returned back these four Consignments/Boxes to the vault due to tight security networking around our company premises, I can not remove any of these Consignments/Boxes, for the fears of being caught in the act., which might result to my sack and embarrassment, and forfeiture of my areas and compensation as a dedicated staff of the company. While the only possible means of having these boxes removed is by due process and legal procedures stipulated by the management. To legally claim and collect these consignments is to apply with the company's laid down procedures by having your name and information planted in our company database and backed, with an Affidavit of Claims and Change of Ownership bearing your name which I will secretly arranged as the Vault Manager
I am soliciting for your assistance and partnership in effecting this transaction, hence I intend to share the total proceed from this Transaction 50%/50% with you as my Partner for your assistance and Participation, if you are interested get back to me for further explanation on how I intend to execute this transaction with your help as the consignee to these Boxes of Money, once I hear from your immediate response I will send you the full transaction details on receipt of your
(1) Full Name:..................................................................
(2) Private Phone Number:.............................................
(3) Current Residential Address:......................................
I look forward to hearing from you.
Mr.N. Wash Pam,