fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "abuja" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- the information below: name: mr. wali ibrahim e-mail: email@example.com e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org telephone: +234-909-513-4207 (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Wali Ibrahim " <email@example.com >
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 21:34:21 -0700
United Nations/IMF Assisted Program
Directorate of International Payment
United Nations Liaison Office - Africa
Dear Scam Victim,
This is to bring to your notice that I am a delegate from the United Nations to The IMF (International Monetary Fund) West Africa Regional Payment Office to pay 521 scam victims $2,600,000.00 USD (Four Hundred Thousand Dollars only) each. You are listed and approved for this payment as one of the scammed victims to be paid this amount,get back to me as soon as possible for the immediate payments of your $2,600,000.00 USD compensations funds. On this faithful recommendations, I want you to know that during the last U.N. meetings held at Abuja, Federal Republic of Nigeria, it was alarmed so much by the world in the meetings on the lost of funds by various individual to scam artist operating in
syndicates all over the world today.
In other to compensate these victims, the U.N Body is now paying 521 victims of this operators $2,600,000.00 USD each in accordance with the U.N .recommendations. Due to the corrupt and in-efficient Banking Systems in Federal Republic of Nigeria, the payments are to be paid by UN officials sitting at IMF (International Monetary Fund) West Africa Regional
Payment Office as corresponding payment center under funding assistance by United Nation body. According to the number of applicants at hand, 284 Beneficiaries has been paid, half of the victims are from the United States, and we still have more 237 left to be paid the compensations of $2,600,000.00 USD each.
ATM VISA Card: We will be issuing you a custom pin based ATM card which you will use to withdraw up to $10,000 per day from any ATM machine that has the Card Logo on it. Also with the ATM card you will be able to transfer your funds to your local bank account. The ATM card comes with a handbook or manual to enlighten you about how to use it. Even if you do not have a bank account.
Check: To be deposited in your bank for it to be cleared within three working days.Your payment would be sent to you via any of your preferred option and would be mailed to you via FedEx. Because we have signed a contract with FedEx which should expire by the end of August 2017 you will only need to pay $120.00 instead of $454.00 saving you $369.00! So if you
pay before August 18th you save $334.00 Take note that anyone asking you for some kind of money above the usual fee is definitely a fraudsters and you will have to stop communication with every other person if you have been in contact with any. Also remember that all you will ever have to spend is $120 nothing more! Nothing less! And we guarantee the receipt
of your fund to be successfully delivered to you within the next 24hrs after the receipt of payment has been confirmed.
Note: Everything has been taken care of by the Federal Government including taxes, custom paper and clearance duty so all
you will ever need to pay is $120. DO NOT SEND MONEY TO ANYONE UNTIL YOU READ THIS: The actual fees for shipping your ATM card is $454 but because FedEx have temporarily discontinued the C.O.D which gives you the chance to pay when package is delivered for international shipping as stated on their website:
We had to sign contract with them for bulk shipping which makes the fees reduce from the actual fee of $454.99 to $120 nothing more and no hidden fees of any sort! To effect the release of your fund valued at $2.6million you are advised to contact our correspondent in west Africa the delivery officer Wali Ibrahim with the information below:
Name: Mr. Wali Ibrahim
On contacting him do provide him with the following information:
Your full Name.............
Preferred Payment Method (ATM/Cashier Check):
Upon receipt of payment the delivery officer will ensure that your package is sent within 24 working hours. Because we are so sure of everything we are giving you a 100% money back guarantee if you do not receive payment/package within the next 24hrs after you have made the payment for shipping.
Ms. Adekunle Bola