fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "John CARLOS" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 21:21:53 +0200
Subject: Title :URGENT- Business Regards ! ! !
>From Barrister John CARLOS.
From Barcelona Spain.
Mobile +34 631093714
I am Barrister John CARLOS , a solicitor at law, personal attorney to Mr.Robert M. Josefa, a national Of your country,who used to work as a official contractor (Category D) with REPSOL YPF, SPAIN (RY) an oil firm in Spain. Here in after shall be referred to as my client. On the 30th of July 2013, my client, and their only daughter were involved during the Spanish train crash which took him away from me. copy paste the link below for news info on edition.cnn.com/2013/07/30/ world/europe/spain-train-crash .
Since then I have made several enquiries here to locate any of my clients extended relatives, this has also proved unsuccessful.After these several unsuccessful attempts,I decided to search through with his name which motivated me to contact you, to locate any member of his family I contacted you.I have contacted you to assist in repartrating the fund valued at 2,000.000.00 million euros left behind by my client before it gets confisicated or declared unserviceable by the (bank) where this huge amount were deposited here in Spain.
I will have 60% of the proceed while you have 40% for your assistance.
Email Title : INFORMATION OF THE DECEASED
A. FULL INFORMATION OF THE DECEASED
1. Full name: Robert M. Josefa
2. Country of Birth ; Spain
3. Residential Address in Spain: Calle San Antonio, 49, Marbella Malaga, Spain
4. Age ; 67years
5. Occupation ; oil rig contractor
6. Marital Status ; Married with two children all deceased
7. Cause of Death ; train crash
8. Date of Occurence 30th July 2013
9. Country / Area of Death ; Spain
B. FULL BANKING INFORMATION OF THE DECEASED :
1. Banking Account Description ; domiciliary account
2. Bank Account Number ; 491 843 0027
3. Last Updated ; 05- 09- 2010
4. Banking Security Policy Code No ; 42221013450000
5. Saving Number ; 000 153 6282
6. Total Available Credit Fund ; 2,000,000,00 [ Million u.s Euros ['
PLEASE REPLY ME WITH YOUR INFORMATION AND CALL ME FOR MORE ORAL CLARIFICATION ON ( +34 631093714 ). ALSO INCLUDE YOUR PRIVATE TELEPHONE NUMBER IN YOUR REPLY.
Barrister John CARLOS
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx79.29xxxxxxxxxxxxxxGERMAN SPIDER and ADDxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx