fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "claim agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- "claims agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Online Coordinator" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 01:54:29 +0200
Subject: BMW LOTTERY DEPARTMENT
NOTE: If you received this message in your SPAM/BULK folder, that is because of the restrictions implemented by your Internet Service Provider, we (BMW) urge you to treat it genuinely.
BMW LOTTERY DEPARTMENT
Del 1st of july 2017
We happily announce to you the draw of BMW LOTTERY DEPARTMENT International programs held in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. on the 1st of july 2017. Your "email address" was attached to ticket number; B9665 75604546 199 pin code Number BMW:2541256003/25.
This batch draws the lucky winning numbers as follows       which consequently won the lottery in the e-version second category.
All participants "e-mail address" were selected through a computer balloting system drawn from Nine Hundred Thousand names from Canada, Australia, United States, Asia, Europe, Middle East, Africa and Oceanic as part of our International Promotions Program which is conducted at every year.
You have therefore been approved to claim prize of a brand new 2017 Model BMW 7 Series Car and a Check of $500,000.00usd to file MSW-L/200-26937.
Furthermore your details (e-mail address) falls within our Representative Office UNITED STATES OF AMERICA in as indicated in our play coupon and your prize of a brand new 2017 Model BMW 7 Series Car and a Check of $500,000.00usd) would be released to you from UNITED STATES OF AMERICA..
HOW TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE
Simply contact our Fiduciary Claim Agent in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. where your own Payment is zoned. He will immediately commence the process to facilitate the release of your winning a brand new 2017 Model BMW 7 Series Car and a Check of $500,000.00usd His contact details are shown below:
Mr. Ronald Arceo
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
To process your claims you are hereby advice to contact your claim agent immediately with the below information's;
COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE:
FILE NO: MSW-L/200-26937
pin code Number BMW:2541256003/25.
Our special thanks and gratitude to our sponsors Bill Gates and Associates. We wish you the best of luck as you spend your good fortune in this season.
For security reasons, you are advised to keep your winning information confidential till your cash prize is processed and your money remitted to you.
Endeavour to contact the claims agent with the required information's immediately.
Yours in service,
BMW LOTTERY DEPARTMENT