fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "diplomatic agent" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "contact the diplomat" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "@diplomats.com" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Outblaze.com, Hong Kong; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr Jackson Hany" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 12:44:44 -0400
We wish to inform you that our diplomatic agent conveying your consignment box valued the sum of $2.7 Million United States Dollars well packaged in a metal Box just for safety of the fund in the Box arrived Madrid Spain today and he is currently in Madrid Barajas International Airport and he is stranded just because he lost your delivery address on transit.
He left our country USA since 3 days ago and be rest assured that he dont know that the Box contained money so take note that you dont have to dispose the content of the Box to him for security reason to avoid him letting the customs know that the content of the Box is Money.All you need to do now is to reconfirm to him the below information to avoid wrong delivery of the box to a wrong person.
(1)Your Full Name=============
(2)Mobile Phone Number======
(3)Current Home Address========
(7)Nearest Airport ==============
(8)A Copy of Your I D For Identification.
Please do contact the diplomatic agent with the email below with the information required for your consignment Box delivery as soon as possible today as soon as you receive my email.
Contact Person :Agent Mr. Michael Spinner
He is waiting to hear from you today with the information.NOTE :The Diplomatic agent does not know that the content of the consignment box is $2.7Million United States Dollars and on no circumstances
should you let him know the content. The consignment was moved from here as family clothes and jewelries so never allow him to know the content here is the Consignment Box Unlocking Code (GB0076543456709876545545549GBGHTY) by the left hand side.
Dr Jackson Hany