fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Michael John <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 11:40:05 +0000
Subject: HELLO DEAR GOOD FRIEND,
I apologize for intruding into your privacy, especially by contacting
you through this means for important offer, how are you and yourfamily
over there? My name is Michael John I want to donate my inheritance to
the less privileged people in the society. I work as contractor and
I want to donate my inheritance to the less privileged people in the
society. I live alone and have no family, relatives or child presently
i lost my beloved wife and two kids on 18 July 2007 in a plane crash
during landing on the Airport in Sao Paulo, Brazil .I am suffering
from Stomach Cancer and have undergone series of cancer treatments but
to no avail, i am presently in a special Government hospital (Tokwe
hospital in Togo) for a cancer operation.
After the test result, my doctor said that I have short time to live
in life, for this reason I got your email address on internet and I am
contacting you because I have no option again.
I save my personal money the sum of 5.5Million Euros in the Bank now
that I have short time to live I want you to stand as my
representative in your country and build either Mosque or church for
people over there in your city or help any orphanage home or poor
people with my money. If you can accept to be my representative then I
will give you 30% of the total amount as your commission and you will
use the balance 70 % for the project.
Please I need an honest person who will take very good care of this
project. If you are capable to handle this project, then I will tell
you further step to take. I suffer a lot in my life and I am very much
afraid of dying without knowing the destination of my property, I
hardly sleep at night and during the day because I do not want to die
without having donated all the property I have otherwise I think it
would be a mess.
Hope to hear from you even if youâre not interested on this email