fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "clearance permit" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "inheritance funds" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "dear beneficiary," (this SPAM email was probably sent to thousands of people)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs Carla Grasso(" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 10:09:55 +0100
Subject: Alert Fbi Final Warning
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
Anti-Terrorist And Monitory Crime Division.
Federal Bureau Of Investigation.
J.Edgar.Hoover Building Washington Dc
Customers Service Hours / Monday To Saturday
Office Hours Monday To Saturday:
We hope this notification arrives meeting your good health and mind.Series of meetings have been held over the past 2 months with the secretary general of the United Nations Organization. This ended 3 days ago. It is obvious that you have not received your fund which is to the tune of 10.5M million due to past corrupt Governmental Officials who almost held the fund to themselves for their selfish reason and some individuals who have taken advantage of your fund all in an attempt to swindle your fund which has led to so many losses from your end and unnecessary delay in the receipt of your fund.for more information do get back to us.
The National Central Bureau of Interpol enhanced by the United Nations and Federal Bureau of Investigation have successfully passed a mandate to the government of the states the exercise of clearing all foreign debts owed to you and other individuals and organizations who have been found not to have receive their Contract Sum, Lottery/, Inheritance.
we are happy to inform you that based on our recommendation your outstanding inheritance funds over-due payment in tone of USD 10.5M has been credited in your favor in ATOM BANK PLC . Having said all this, we will further advise that you go ahead in dealing with the ATOM BANK PLC , IL accordingly as we will be monitoring all their activities with you as well as your correspondence at all levels.
NOTE: There are numerous scam emails on the internet, imposters impersonating names and images. We therefore warn our dear citizens to be very careful with any claim email you receive prior to these irregularities so that they do not fall victim to this ugly circumstance anymore.
And should in case you are already dealing with anybody or office claiming that you have a payment with them, you are to STOP further contact with them immediately in your best interest and contact the real bank (ATOM BANK PLC ) only where your fund is laying, with the below information:
Use the below information to contact US Treasury representative for payment instructions to secure the below Four government documents for immediate release of your intercepted funds according to FBI security description
A .International Fund Release Clearance Permit Certificate
B. Fund Authorization Legal Certificate
C. International Fund Confirmation Order Certificate.
D. The International transfer Account Gateway code (IAG Code)
MR WALTER HAMA (Fraud and Payments Agent)
ATOM BANK PLC
AKLEY HEADS DURHAM DH1 5TS LONDON
My Direct Phone+44-745-205-7102 (Outside Of The UK.)
Contact the bank today and furnish them with this information below for processing of your payment/funds accordingly.
DIRECT CONTACT NUMBER:
NOTE: In your best interest, any message that does not come from the above email address should be nullified and avoided immediately for security reasons. Meanwhile, we will advise that you contact the ATOM BANK PLC office in London immediately with the above email address and request that they attend to your payment file as directed so as to enable you receive your payment/fund accordingly.
Ensure you follow all directives from ATOM BANK PLC as this will further help hasten up the whole payment process in regards to the transfer of your fund to you as designated. Also have in mind that the ATOM BANK PLC equally has their own protocol of operation as stipulated on their banking terms.
All modalities has already been worked out before you were contacted and note that we will be monitoring all your dealings with them as you proceed so you don't have anything to worry about. All we require from you henceforth is an update so as to enable us be on track with you and the ATOM BANK PLC . Without wasting much time, we will want you to contact them immediately with the above email address and phone number so as to enable them attend to your case accordingly without any further delay as time is already running out.
Should in case you need any more information in regards to this notification, feel free to get back to us via email so that we can brief you more as we are here to guide you during and after this project has been completely perfected and you have received your payment/fund as stated.
Thank you very much for your anticipated co-operation.
Mrs Carla Grasso(SEC)To
Mr Christopher A. Wray, (TSGFB/13-PL.3R49)
New FBI Director FBI
Federal Bureau of Investigation.
J. Edgar Hoover Building
935 Pennsylvania Avenue,
NW Washington, D.C.
Cc:Homeland Security Council