fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear sir/madam" (a standard Nigerian greeting phrase)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: ahmed abdulla <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 00:59:51 +0400
Subject: ADIC PROJECT FUNDING.
We are International finance company based in UAE with operations and
proven clientele based across the world.
In summary, we provide niche Cash loan services for individual and
institutional investors and business people across the world. If you
are looking at securing funding for your international trade, project
and infrastructural development, we provide loan to our clients at
international competitive rate and at reasonable time frame (within
10-15 days depending on your country and local bank).
We have successfully financed and fund various projects from
USD/EUR/GBP 10,000,000.00 â 50,000,000,000.00 across Europe, Asia, and
South-America and also in Emerging Markets (India, Pakistan and
Africa). Respond back if you are seeking funding, contact us through
our E-mail address:- (email@example.com).
Mr Ahmed Abdulla AL-Khalfan, CFA
Abu Dhabi Investment Council
United Arab Emirates.
Abu Dhabi INVESTMENT Council (âThe Councilâ) hereby disclaims any
warranty, express or implied, connected with any of the content
displayed on ADIC web page. Neither The Council nor any of its
OFFICERS, employees or affiliates shall be liable for any direct,
incidental, consequential, indirect or punitive damages arising out of
access to or use of any content of this site or the content of any
site or sites "hyper-linked" to or from this site.
Neither the Council, nor any of its affiliates, directors, OFFICERS or
employees will be liable or have any responsibility of any kind for
any loss or damage that you incur in the event of any failure or
interruption of this site. The information, data or otherwise (the
âInformationâ) contained on ADIC web page constitutes the intellectual
property of the Council and is confidential and intended solely for