fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk boxes" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "very confidential" (scammers urge victims to keep the transaction secret because they don't want anyone to point out to them that it is a scam)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "laurent eyadema" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 06:39:43 +0200
Subject: please read very urgent
I am Mr. LAURENT EYADEMA from Republic of Togo. I am the second son of Gnassingbe Eyadema the late President of Republic of Togo, I am sorry for the inconvenience that this letter may cause you, I and my father deposited our family life treasure during his reign as the president of Republic of Togo on the 18/10/2004 with TRANS GLOBAL SECURITY/FINANCE COMPANY LTD in Accra Ghana, because Ghana is the nearest country to Togo.
I and my father lifted this three trunk boxes which contains the Sum of $85 million US DOLLAR which we deposited with the above mentioned company in Ghana for salty purposes, After the death of my father I have decided to move this family life treasure to Miami International air port USA, the consignment is in the diplomats ware house there at Miami international air port USA, I arrived Ghana this January, before they ask me to get a Partner in your country to receive the boxes on my behalf, based on the Condition that the consignment is tagged diplomatic baggage.
I wanted the box to arrive before I will make contact In your country for someone who has a Godly mind and That can help me invest them to pick it up and assist Me to come over for further business plans, but due to The fact that there is a lot of internet scam and Fraudulent activities going in the world, that is why I have to move it to you in MIAMI for further delivery to you by the diplomat, so I want you to Avoid any doubting mind or fear of insecurity, Dishonesty and irresponsibility.
Please to prove my honesty and sincerity in the Subject matter; send me your fax and private cell Phone number for easy communication during the delivery of the consignment to you, but please you will have to keep it very confidential for both of us and in return to your kind assistant YOU WILL BE GIVEN 35% PERCENT SHARE OF THE FUND.
upon you reply to this massage then I will give you the contact number of the diplomat in MIAMI so that you can call him, and he is a republic of Ghana government approved diplomat he is there in MIAMI so that you can call him and tell him that you are my partner whom my consignment is to be delivered to, to enable him deliver the consignment to you immediately.
Thanks in anticipation of your urgent response,