fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "foreign remittance department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "MR. Paul Kelvin" <"ww."@beetle.ocn.ne.jp>
Reply-To: "firstname.lastname@example.org" <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2017 22:39:34 +0900 (JST)
Subject: Notification of payment by ATM Master Credit Card
Notification of payment by ATM Master Credit Card
We hereby officially notifying you about the present arrangement to pay you,
your over due Winning Prize/inheritance fund which you could not complete the
process of the released of your transfer pin code through the Digitized Payment
System. We have decided to pay your funds through (ATM Master Express Credit
Card) This arrangement was initiated/constituted by the World Bank, United
Nation and Paris Club, due to fraudulent activities going on within the world.
The World Bank, United Nations and Paris Club introduced this payment
arrangement as to enable our Contract ,Winning Prize,inheritance beneficiary to
receive their fund without any interference. the ATM Master Express Credit Card
was contracted and powered by GOLD CARD WORLD WIDE.
The ATM MASTER EXPRESS CARD is credited with the sum of$5,500.000.00 USD(Five
Million Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars), it is already loaded in
the Master Card which you can use to access your fund in any ATM Stand/location
worldwide and remember that the maximum withdrawal daily limit is Ten Thousand
United States Dollars(US$10,000.00)we have concluded delivery arrangement with
the below courier services companies and their delivery time is stated below.
Kindly provide me with the below details in your response to this email and let
me know which courier company you would want us to use for the shipment of your
ATM Card to you.
1. Valid Delivery Address:
2. Full Names:
3. Phone Number:
Understand that you will be liable for the delivery fee of your ATM Master
Express Card to you with any of the above courier company.
CONGRATULATIONS IN ADVANCE.
MR. Paul Kelvin
Director Foreign Remittance Department
UBA Bank Benin Plc