fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million pounds" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "remain blessed" (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a "dying widow" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Kristina Wimbledon" <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 15:55:23 -0700
Subject: urgent message
Please kindly accept my apology for sending you this email without your
consent. I believe you are a highly respected personality, considering
the fact that I sourced your profile from the peoples search database on
the web during my descript search for a partner whom can assist me in
taking bringing the dreams of my late husband come through. I am Mrs.
Kristina wimbledon, suffering from cancerous ailment. I was married to
Sir Alex wimbledon A .an English shipping tycoon notable for his great
charitable activities before his death in April 2nd, 2010. When my late
husband was alive he deposited the sum of Twenty Million Pounds Sterling
(20,000,000.00 GBP) which were derived from his vast estates and
investment in capital market with his bank in UK and named me as the
beneficiary of this trust fund. (All records are kept with my family
lawyer).Presently, this money is still with the Bank. My Doctor told me
recently, that I have limited days to live due to the cancerous problems
that I have been suffering from. Though what bothers me most is the stroke that I have in addition with the
cancer. With this hard reality that has befallen me, I have decided to
donate this fund to you and i want you to use this gift which comes
from my Late husbands effort to establish a charity home for the upkeep
of widows, widowers, orphans, destitute, the down-trodden, physically
challenged children, barren-women and persons who prove to be genuinely
handicapped financially. I took this decision because I do not have any
child that will inherit this money and my husband relatives are
bourgeois and very wealthy persons and I do not want my husband hard
earned money to be misused or invested into ill perceived ventures,
which is the reason I took this bold decision. I do not need any
telephone communication in this regard due to my deteriorating health
and because of the presence of my husband relatives around me. You can
contact me through my personal email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please assure me that you will act just as I have stated herein.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Mrs. kristina Wimbledon