fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following fake company names, fake addresses, non-existent institutions/documents or other details have appeared in scams before:
- "the bmw automobile company" (no such lottery exists)
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
Fraud email example:
From: " Bavarian Motor Works" <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 07:55:47 -0400
Subject: Important Notice
THE BMW AUTOMOBILE COMPANY
Attn : Lucky Winners
We happily announce to you the draw of Americas International lottery program held in United States/Canada 2015. Your e-mail address (firstname.lastname@example.org) attached to Online Draw Number (ODN): 19 879 87 09 00 23, with Serial number: 111 098 45556 drew the winning number: 051-506-175-520-238-42 (Bonus67), which subsequently won you the lottery award in the 2nd category. Your email address has therefore been approved to claim a Car prize of BMW 7 Series and a total sum of (One Million Two Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) credited to file KPC/9030108308/03. This is from a total cash prize of (Six Million United States Dollars) shared among the first 5 lucky winners in this category worldwide. All participants were selected randomly from Worldwide Web site through computer draw system and extracted from over 100,000,00 companies and individual email addresses. Be fully informed that your e-mail emerged as one of the winner of (One Million Two Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) on our online draws which
HOW YOUR EMERGE THE WINNER/ EMAIL SELECTION PROCESS.
We are proud to inform you about the final draw from Americas Lottery that was conducted from an exclusive list of 7,000,000 E-mails Address of individuals and corporate bodies picked by an advanced automated random computer selector from the web. Your E-mail Address was selected among the 12 Lucky winners to benefits
from this E-mail promo. Each and every E-mail owner is to benefit the Sum of (One Million Two Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) This program is been sponsored by BMW Group to alleviate poverty, create hope and self-believe to people around the world through this online world E-mail award promotion. Please note that your e-mail address was randomly selected for the online version from worldwide web sites through a computer drawn system extracted from over 100,000 companies globally and exclusive list of 7,000,000 E-mails Address of individuals. Please note that your lucky winning number falls within our booklet representative office in United States as indicated.
MISSION/VISION/VALUES OF LOTTERY.
The BMW automobiles promotion board is a member-based organization to advance the interests of Email/Internet Users and to increase the social economic standards of the society. Our vision is for the BMW Group to uphold the highest ethical principles, and to support our lucky winners in achieving their vision for their own communities.
For security reasons, you are advised to keep your winning information confidential till your winning is processed and your money remitted to you in whichever way you deem fit to claim your prize. This is part of our precautionary measure to avoid double claiming and abuse of this program by some unscrupulous elements.
The following lottery organizations have been granted accreditation by the World Lottery Association for the WLA Responsible Gaming Framework. Each organization has received certification for the framework level as per the recommendation of the Responsible Gaming Independent Assessment Panel, or as in the case of some European lotteries certified to the WLA RGF Level 4, has been granted accreditation by the World Lottery Association in accordance with its agreement with the European
State Lottery and Toto Association.
VERIFICATION INFORMATION REQUIRED TO PROCESS CLAIM.
E-mail Users Remember to quote your reference information in all correspondence. You are to keep all lotto information away from the public especially your Online Draw Generated Number. This is important as a case of double claims will not be entertained. Members of the affiliate agencies are automatically not allowed to participate in this program.
You are hereby advised to reply with the following information below;
1: Full names (Surname First):
2: Residential address:
3: Mobile number:
4: Fax number:
7: Age/Date of birth (DD.MM.YYYY):
9: Lucky Email Address:
10: Online Draw Number (ODN): 19 879 87 09 00 23
11: Winning number: 051-506-175-520-238-42
12: Serial number: 111 098 45556
IDENTIFICATION : Send a Scan copy of any of the following International Passport, Country ID or Drivers License.
BMW AG ensures that all personal data will be dealt with in accordance with privacy protection regulations. With your permission, the data you supply in the verification form will be stored, processed and your personal data will be safeguard from
Upon your reply with the requested details and verification process completed we shall send you the contact information of our affiliated Courier Cargo Delivery Agency so that you can contact them immediately.
Thanks & Regards
BMW Claims Manager
Mr. Walter Zeichner