fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- h.e ali shareef al emadi qatar petroleum. email:firstname.lastname@example.org email:email@example.com (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "H.E Ali Shareef Al Emadi" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 07:24:40 -0700
Subject: Investment in your country
I am H.E Ali Shareef Al Emadi Manager Account Finance, Qatar Petroleum.
I have fund for Investment in your country.
Contact me if you are interested, I have all it will take to move the fund to any of your account designate as a Contract Fund to avoid every query by the authority in your Country. I sent this message from my private Email, I will give you more details through my official Email upon the receipt of your response to prove myself and office.
H.E Ali Shareef Al Emadi