fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "swift card payment center" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "card center will send you an atm card" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "foreign payment department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: UBA BANK <"www."@ninus.ocn.ne.jp>
Reply-To: UBA BANK <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2017 08:14:49 +0900 (JST)
Subject: ATTENTION : ATM MASTER CARD
ATTENTION : ATM MASTER CARD
WE HERE BY NOTIFYING YOU THAT UBA BANK PLC HAVE BEEN MANDATED BY IMF
MANAGING DIRECTOR TO ISSUE OUT YOUR PAYMENT OF $8.8MILLION USD THROUGH
ATM CARD. YOU HAVE TO STOP FURTHER COMMUNICATION WITH ANY OTHER
PERSON(S) OR OFFICE(S) OR MINISTRY OF FINANCE AFRICA TO AVOID HITCHES
IN RECEIVING YOUR ATM CARD PAYMENT.
UBA BANK MANAGER HAVE CONFIRMED AUTOMATION OF YOUR SWIFT PAYMENT
THROUGH AN ELECTRONIC ATM CARD PAYMENT. THE BANK HAVE ARRANGED YOUR
PAYMENT THROUGH SWIFT CARD PAYMENT CENTER ASIA PACIFIC THIS CARD
CENTER WILL SEND YOU AN ATM CARD WHICH YOU WILL USE TO WITHDRAW YOUR
MONEY IN ANY ATM MACHINE IN ANY PART OF THE WORLD . THE MAXIMUM DAILY
WITHDRAWAL IS $5.000USD PER DAY. A TOTAL OF $8.8MILLION USD AT A TIME
. NOW YOU ARE TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR FUND BY CONTACTING THE BANK TODAY.
THIS IS A SPECIAL ARRANGEMENT IN COLLABORATION WITH MASTER CARD
COMPANY DEPARTMENT AROUND THE WORLD INCLUDING USA.
Please KINDLY Reconfirm Your Information Again once you receive your
ATM card kindly go into bank and withdraw your funds thanks,
YOUR FULL NAME ____
YOUR HOME PHONE_______
YOUR CELL PHONE_____
Your passport id____
FOR IMMEDIATE MAILING OF THE ATM CARD TO YOUR ADDRESS.
CONTACT DR.MR.OMABALA WITH THIS INFORMATION:
FOREIGN PAYMENT DEPARTMENT
UBA BANK BENIN REPUBLIC
EMAIL:( firstname.lastname@example.org )
PHONE:( +22999619875 )
NOTE THAT BECAUSE OF IMPOSTORS THE (UBA BANK) HEREBY ISSUED YOU OUR
CODE OF CONDUCT WHICH IS ATM-0212 SO YOU HAVE TO INDICATE THIS CODE
WHEN CONTACTING DR.CHRIS NELSON ON THE CARD CENTER BY USING IT AS YOUR
SUBJECT. KINDLY NOTIFY (UBA BANK) IMMEDIATELY TO CONFIRM THE RECEIPT
OF THIS MESSAGE FROM THE UBA BANK PLC.
HON DR.mr omabala
HEAD OF ATM DEPT