fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "high court" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "federal high court" (This court is often mentioned in '419' scams to give the victim a reason why he/she should send thousands of dollars to the scammers. A 'Federal High Court' exists in Germany and Nigeria, but not in other countries, such as the UK, Spain, Netherlands, Senegal, Benin, South Africa or other countries where fake lawyers in scams often claim to be based. )
- "ecowas " (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "MR. James Edward" <"www."@space.ocn.ne.jp>
Reply-To: "MR. James Edward" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2017 19:44:10 +0900 (JST)
Subject: Welcome to Royal Bank Of Canada . RBC)
RBC) Royal Bank Of Canada.
1122 International Blvd. Burlington,
Ontario L7L 6Z8 Canada.
I am MR James Edward from the managing director of the Royal Bank Of Canada . This message is to official inform you that we have received payment instructions we also congratulate you for been part of the investors with our bank in Marginal we are reputed for offering quality banking solutions. Our services in the industry are made simple to assist clients /our customers in all transaction phases, planning and management of finance.
Therefore ,we are happy to inform you that based on our recommendation/instructions, your Entire funds has been gazetted for urgent release and will be credited through Our bank ( Royal Bank). Further to your transaction, we are very delighted to inform you that we are in receipt of your fund and the payment transfer instruction given to our Organization to further remit the said funds to you via our Royal Bank in view of this we seek to inform you on the availability of your fund and its subsequent remittance to you.
Royal Bank Plc is the trading name of FINESSE Africa Program Services Limited, which is a regulated bank, licensed by the Financial Services Commission (ADB) our services is to Arrange Your Payment through E-Banking (Online/ Internet Banking) . This Service will afford you the luxury and convenient of transferring your fund through the use of your Computer by accessing your account Online and subsequently making
Transfers with the use of the Details that we will provide to you. It is a new and modern form of Fund Transfer and its is SAFE, SECURE AND CONVENIENT
Inconclusive we wish to enlighten you our conduct of operation and service rendering. Dear customer we are to inform you that it the obligation of every of our customer to open Non-Resident account here in our bank in which he/her will use to transfer the fund into your local bank account over there in your country .
Your funds was deposited in Royal Bank Of Canada (Royal Bank) plc for online bank transfer and the entire Federal High Court Of ECOWAS has made every necessary arrangement to transfer your funds to you via E-online bank transfer through our banking system since you were unable to receive your funds after every stories that you heard so far and all the unnecessary payment that you have been make , so the whole ECOWAS (Economic Community Of Western African States ) Has concluded to compensate you with the sum of $1 billion United State Dollars plus your due total funds of $11 billion United State Dollars making your due funds valued sum of US$12,000,000,000.00.United State Dollars
Personal Information for fund Transfer Request.
State of Origin*: ........................
National ID Card NO.*.....................
Fax Number*: .............................
Cell / Mobile No:.........................
Gender*: Female ..........................
MR James Edward from Royal Bank
Phone Contact +1(602) 831-0787
The President and CEO.
(RBC) Royal Bank Of Canada.