fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "into your nominated bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr. Foster Brown" <email@example.com>
Reply-To: "Dr. Foster Brown" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 00:09:14 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: DONALD TRUMP'S FOUNDATION AND UNITED NATIONS ( ATTENTION TO ALL
SCAM VICTIMS )
Greetings to you
SCAMMED VICTIM/ $500,000 BENEFICIARIES.
REF/PAYMENTS CODE: ECB/06654 $500,000 USD.
Attention: All scam victims
On behalf of the Obama's Foundation and UNITED NATIONS, we wish tonotify you as a beneficiary of $500,000 USD in compensation of scam victims.This is to bring to your notice that we are delegated from the Obama's Foundation and UNITED NATIONS in Central Bank to pay 150 victims of scam $500,000 USD (Five Hundred Thousand Dollars) each. You are listed and approved for this payment as one of the scammed victims to be paid this amount.
According to the number of applicants at hand, 114 Beneficiaries has been paid, over a half of the victims are from the United States, we still have a pending of 36 compensations left to be paid. Your particulars was mentioned by one of the Syndicates who was arrested as one of their victims of the operations, you are hereby warned not to communicate or duplicate this message to him for any reason what soever as the U.S. secret service is already on trace of the other criminals. So keep it secret till they are all apprehended.Other victims who
have not been contacted can submit their application as well for scrutiny and possible consideration
Do contact Capital One Bank , London Branch for verification and release of your $500,000 USD that we have deposited with the Capital One Bank. The account log on will be presented to you by the bank in order to access the funds before releasing into your nominated bank account.
You will transfer the funds into your nominated account on-line as the Capital One Bank,UK will provide the necessary information to you. Please if you are willing to accept the funds, do contact the Head of Foreign Operation of the Capital One Bank,UK with the following details:
You are to fill the appropriate form and submit to the bank.
Head of Foreign Operation,UK
Name: Mr. Chris Newkirk
Private Email: email@example.com
OBAMA'S FOUNDATION AND UNITED NATIONSÂ© 2017