fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state of america" (this email uses bad English)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "economic and financial crimes commission" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "(efcc)" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Royal Express Services" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 21:02:36 +0800
Subject: ATTENTION: DID YOU AUTHORIZE MRS. RITA JONES?
ATTENTION: DID YOU AUTHORIZE MRS. RITA JONES?
We received an email from Mrs. Rita Jones, stating that she is your sister and you have given her permission to claim your package worth the sum of
$4,5,000,000.00 USD ( Four Million Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars) ATM CARD scheduled for delivery to your residence address. Your
package is among the 7 parcels that are still in our custody that are yet to be dispatch due to incorrect receiver's / delivery address. This
package was deposited in our office on 22th of February 2017, By MR. IBRAHIM MUSTAFA MAGU, the current Chairman of Economic and Financial
Crimes Commission (EFCC), Here in Nigeria, This said fund was approved to settle old contractors and compensation of scam victims and overdue
payment all over the world and your name was found among the beneficiary list and i also want you to know that the EFCC Chairman has paid the
original shipping/handling fees and your package was sent to your Address,But it was returned back to our office after some days due to
incorrect delivery address.
Confirm that Mrs. Rita Jones, was authorized to receive your package. If yes, do send us a letter of authorization instructing us to ship the
package to Her address upon that she will be paying the Safe Keeping Fee of $200usd, immediately before the Package will be shipped to her Address
810 Bellevue Rd Apt 206 Nashville TN, 37221
United State Of America.
And if No please, Do also re-confirm your mailing information below as
Send your correspondence to the manager:
8.)YOUR SCAN COPY OF YOUR INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT/DRIVING LICENSE:..
Finally, you are to get back to this office immediately for clarifications on this matter as we shall be available 24hours to speak
with you and give you the necessary guidelines on how to ensure that your ATM MasterCard is delivered to you immediately, And be very much informed that any further delay from your side could be dangerous, as we would not be held responsible of anything if this ATM MasterCard is delivered to
Mrs. Rita Jones. upon she will be paying the fee $200usd.
Name: Mr. Mark Williams
Email Address: email@example.com
We are waiting to receive your authorization letter for onward shipment To Mrs. Rita Jones, if you are the one that gave her permission, so that once
she make the payment for the Safe keeping fee of the package which is the sum of $200usd before we commerce with the delivery to her door step without any delay.
Mrs. Rose Williams
Royal Express Services Ltd