fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Monday James" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 04:20:47 -0700
Subject: ATTENTION : MY DEAR
Our Ref: WB/NF/UN/XX028 UNITED NATIONS.
(WORLD BANK ASSISTED PROGRAM)
DIRECTORATE OF INTERNATIONAL
PAYMENT AND TRANSFERS.
870 UNITED NATIONS PLAZA 20-A NEW YORK NY 10017
WIRE TRANSFER/AUDIT UNIT
ATTENTION : MY DEAR
Meanwhile, This is a true compensation Approved from the UNITED NATION to compensate you due to maybe you has been scam before and again you may be victim of scam by wrong people who paraded them selves on what they are not so because of this, the United Nation approved our Bank to process ATM MASTER CARD with valid cash of usd$2,000.000.00 million on your favor in order to compensate you so that if you have been scammed before this is a compensation and you will be making your withdrawals from the ATM MASTER CARD as you will be allowed in making withdrawals minimum of usd$20,000 (Twenty Thousand usd$) per a day or every 24hrs from any ATM MACHINE around you.
Meanwhile, a woman came to my office this morning with an application for transfer of the fund into her account on your behalf, claiming to be your representative.
Here are the informations she submitted for the transfer of your fund Name MRS. DORIS MORISON. Bank name: WACHOVIA BANK, New-York. Account number: 6503809428.
Please, do re-confirm to this office as a matter of urgency if this woman is truly from you as this office will not be held responsible for paying your fund into wrong account.
Your ATM MASTER CARD will be deliver to your address through courier delivery services within 3 days.
BELOW ARE YOUR ATM CARD DATA :
AMOUNT CREDIT : USD$2.000.000.00 MILLION
YOUR ATM CARD ACCOUNT # : 4033052100311896
CARD LIMIT PER A DAY : USD$20,000
EXPIRING DATE : 12/08/2018
PIN CODE # : 7501
You are required to send me your full details such as :
Your full name:
Your full contact Address:
Your Telephone/mobile number
Once you send these above information your ATM MASTER CARD will be process and deliver to your Address and you can aswell move down to any nearest ATM PAYING MACHINE and apply your pin code # : 7501 to make your withdrawals without any delay.
I am waiting to hear from you and your details as required.
Mr. Monday James
Director Swift Card Payment Center.