fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "cost of transfer" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "huge amount of money" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "international remittance department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "DIRECTOR CHRISTOPHER A. WRAY" <"christopherwray."@silk.ocn.ne.com>
Reply-To: "REV.JAMES WILLIAMS" <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 00:18:24 +0900 (JST)
Subject: (FBI) PAYMENT MEMO TO PAYMENT BENEFICIARIES.
ANTI-TERRORIST AND MONETARY CRIMES DIVISION
FBI HEADQUARTERS IN WASHINGTON, D.C.
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
J. EDGAR HOOVER BUILDING
935 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE, NW
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20535-0001
DATE: 10/29/2017, Website: washingtondc.fbi.gov.
ATTN: ATM CARD PAYMENT BENEFICIARY,
(FBI) PAYMENT MEMO TO PAYMENT BENEFICIARIES.
GOOD NEWS FOR YOU FROM THE FBI UNITED STATES. WE HAD A MEETING WITH
INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND AND FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA/ BENIN OVER
YOUR LONG OVERDUE CONTRACT PAYMENT AND WE AGREED WITH THEM THAT YOUR FUND
SHOULD NOT COST YOU ANYTHING BECAUSE IS YOUR MONEY, WHICH WE FINALLY
REACHED AN AGREEMENT YESTERDAY THAT ALL THE PAYMENT WILL BE PAID VIA ATM
SMART CARD WHICH IS THE SIMPLEST WAY TO TRANSFER HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY TO
AVOID COST OF TRANSFER AND OTHER STATUTORY DOCUMENTS, WHICH WE STRETCHED
TO HAVE A STRONG AGREEMENT OVER THE PAYMENT THAT WILL COST YOU ONLY $300USD
FOR DELIVERY OF YOUR ATM SMART CARD VIA UPS OR FEDEX DELIVERY COMPANY
DEPENDING ON YOUR CHOICE.
HOWEVER, YOU HAVE ONLY TWO WORKING DAYS TO SEND THIS REQUIRED DELIVERY FEE
OF $300USD TO FEDEX OR UPS COURIER COMPANY FOR DELIVERING OF YOUR CARD
BECAUSE YOUR CARD WILL BE DISPATCH TO THEM IMMEDIATELY. AND IF WE DON'T
HEAR FROM YOU WITH THE PAYMENT INFORMATION; THE FEDERAL BUREAU OF
INVESTIGATION WILL NOT HESITATE BY GIVING INSTRUCTION TO FEDERAL
GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA AND THE INTERNATIONAL REMITTANCE DEPARTMENT TO
CANCEL YOUR PAYMENT THAT HAS BEEN ALREADY APPROVED AND PROGRAMMED IN AN
ATM SMART CARD.
I WANT YOU TO READ BELOW CAREFULLY, THE NOTICE BELOW STAND AS CAUTION
BEFORE IT IS LATE. FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION, YOU MUST BE CONSCIOUS OF THIS
PROJECT, AS I WILL SOON CONCLUDE THIS TRANSACTION WITH YOU, LET THIS STAND
AS A WARNING BEFORE YOU IN CASE YOU RECEIVED ANY E-MAILS OR CALLS
REGARDING TO THIS FROM ANY INDIVIDUAL, OFFICE, ORGANIZATION AND BANKS
CLAIMING TO BE ME.
BE INFORMED THAT YOU MAY ALSO RECEIVE SEVERAL E-MAILS AND TELEPHONE CALLS
FROM ANY ORGANIZATION, SUCH MUST BE FORWARDED TO US IMMEDIATELY FOR
VERIFICATION.IT MIGHT COME TO YOU WITH DIFFERENT PROPOSALS WITH DIFFERENT
NAMES INCLUDING MY NAME ASKING YOU TO COME AND PUT CLAIM ON YOUR ESTATE OR
EVEN FUNDS BELONGING TO YOU OR TO SOMEBODY YOU DO NOT KNOW, I URGE YOU TO
IGNORE SUCH E-MAILS OR CALLS, WHILE YOU FORWARD IT TO US. I WANT YOU TO
UNDERSTAND THAT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING FOR ME IS YOUR UNDERSTANDING AND
CO-OPERATION. WHILE RESPONDING TO THE ATM CARD PAYMENT OFFICER YOU MUST
CONFIRM THIS CODE (10/29/2017) FOR IDENTIFICATION.
HOWEVER, BE INFORMED THAT THE PART PAYMENT, WHICH IS 3,000,000.00 MILLION
U.S. DOLLARS HAS BEEN LOADED IN YOUR ATM SMART CARD AND YOUR FUND WHICH IS
IN TUNE OF 10,500.000.00 MILLION U.S. DOLLARS WILL COME IN BATCHES OF
3,000.000.00 MILLION U.S. DOLLARS AND THIS IS THE FIRST BATCH OF YOUR
PART PAYMENT.YOUR PAYMENT WOULD BE SENT TO YOU VIA UPS OR FEDEX, BECAUSE
WE HAVE SIGNED A CONTRACT WITH THEM WHICH SHOULD EXPIRED BY 10/31/2017.
BELOW ARE FEW LIST OF TRACKING NUMBERS YOU CAN TRACK FROM UPS
WEBSITE(WWW.UPS.COM) TO CONFIRM PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO HAVE RECEIVED THEIR
JOHNNY ALMANTE ==============1Z2X59394198080570
GARY METZGER ==============1Z2X59394195952759
GLEN PAPANIKAS ==============1Z2X59394198690947
CAROL R BUCZYNSKI ==============1Z2X59394197862530
KARIMA EMELIA TAYLOR ==============1Z2X59394198591527
LISA LAIRD ==============1Z2X59394196641913
POLLY SHAYKIN ==============1Z2X59394198817702
MOREOVER, THIS IS ANOTHER PEOPLE THAT RECEIVED THEIR PAYMENT THROUGH FEDEX
RICHARD AUTRY ============== 869713119185
GARY METZGER ============== 871363130860
MARK STUBBS ==============871363116168
HOWEVER,BE ADVISED BASED ON OUR RECOMMENDATION/INSTRUCTIONS THAT YOUR
COMPLETE CONTRACT/INHERITANCE OVER-DUE FUNDS WILL BE RELEASED IMMEDIATELY
UPON YOUR CONTACT TO THE NEWLY APPOINTED PAYMENT OFFICER THAT WILL CARRY
OUT THE DISPATCH OF YOUR ATM SMART CARD TO FEDEX COURIER COMPANY WITH THE
PAYMENT FOR DELIVERY OF YOUR PACKAGED. YOU ARE THEREFORE ADVISED TO
CONTACT REV JAMES WILLIAMS IMMEDIATELY AS STATED BELOW AS THE APPOINTED
DIRECTOR OF ATM SMART CARD/FOREIGN OPERATION DEPT AND ASK HIM ON HOW AND
WHERE TO SEND THE PAYMENT OF $300.00 ONLY TO FEDEX COURIER COMPANY.
CONTACT PERSON: REV.JAMES WILLIAMS
PRIVATE DIRECT TELL +229-99454708
YOU'RE ADVISED TO CONTACT HIM IMMEDIATELY SO AS TO ENABLE HIM FACILITATE A
SPEEDY PROCESSING AND RELEASE OF YOUR DELIVERY SINCE IS THE ONLY $300.00
USD THAT IS KEEPING YOUR ATM SMART CARD. CONTACT HIM WITH THE FOLLOWING
INFORMATION AS BELOW:
5.A COPY OF YOUR IDENTITY:.:
NOTE: YOU'RE ADVISED TO FURNISH YOUR INFORMATION TO INTERNATIONAL
REMITTANCE DEPARTMENT DIRECTOR REV JAMES WILLIAMS WITH YOUR CORRECT AND VALID
DETAILS TO ENABLE HIM EXPEDITE SPEEDY ACTION ON THE PROCESSING OF YOUR
PAYMENT. WE EXPECT YOUR SWIFT RESPONSE TO THIS EMAIL TO ENABLE US MONITOR
THIS PAYMENT AND THE DELIVERY OF YOUR ATM SMART CARD EFFECTIVELY THEREBY
MAKING CONTACT WITH THE INTERNATIONAL REMITTANCE DEPARTMENT AS DIRECTED TO
AVOID FURTHER DELAY.
YOUR ALSO EXPECTED TO FOLLOW HIS ADVICE AND DIRECTIVES TO AVOID DELAY IN
RELEASING YOUR PAYMENT BECAUSE YOUR PAYMENT FILE HAS ALREADY BEEN MOVED TO
IMF OFFICE FOR PROCESSING AND VERIFICATION.
YOURS IN SERVICE,
DIRECTOR CHRISTOPHER A. WRAY
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20535
Note: Disregard any email you get from any impostors or offices claiming
to be in possession of your ATM card, you are hereby advice only to be in
contact with Rev.JAMES WILLIAMS who is the rightful person to deal with in
regards to your payment and forward any emails you get from impostors to
this office so we could act upon it immediately. Help stop cyber crime.