fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following fake company names, fake addresses, non-existent institutions/documents or other details have appeared in scams before:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "diplomatic delivery" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Sheena Adams " <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 01:09:24 +0530
Subject: Hello Sir/Ma
Let me start by Introducing Myself to you, My name is Sgt Sheena Adams, United States Marine Corps and current commander of the International Security Assistance Force and U.S. Forces Afghanistan (USFOR-A) am presently serving in Afghanistan, based on the security issues, I cannot leave or function directly from here until American end occupation in Afghanistan. I need your help because I cannot do this by myself based on my position and personality, that's why I need your help and assistance in confidential and trust manner. remember this is strictly confidential based on my position. i am searching for long term relationship before i will get my retirement over here and I am also contacting you because of the deal we did with some of Iraq High Government when I was working in Iraq before I was transferred to Afghanistan and the deal affected me some money, I have $10.5 Million US dollars that I successfully moved out of the country, it is proceed from oil business deal we had with an Iraqi citizens worth of $98 million US dollars, the $10.5 Million stated is my share on the business and its legal. I need a good partner, someone I can trust.to give my life to when i get my retirement here and that can keep my funds for me safely and some one that will be honest with me The funds is temporary kept under the custody of an International Security Courier also called United Nations Diplomatic Delivery, the most important thing I need right now is someone that I can trust to assist me receive the money and secure it for me once the funds gets to you, and I have made up my mind to compensate you with 40% out of the total fund and you keep and save guard the remaining 60% for me pending when I am through with my military assignment in Afghanistan. Your own part of this deal is to find a safe place where the funds would be kept.The whole process is simple and we must keep a low profile at all times. My own part is sending it to you so If you are interested quickly get back to me for me to furnish you with more details about the fund OK. after, receiving a respond back from you, Then I can open up with more detailed information about this, i will send you my secure identification on my next feedback, God bless as I hope to hear from you soon.
Looking to discuss further with you. Reply to My email: firstname.lastname@example.org
SGT Sheena Adams.
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
The integrity and confidentiality of this email is governed by these terms / Hierdie terme bepaal die integriteit en vertroulikheid van hierdie epos. http://www.sun.ac.za/emaildisclaimer