fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state of america" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Federal Reserve Bank" <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 16:02:33 +0100
Subject: FUND APPROVAL
FEDERAL RESERVE BANK OF NEW YORK (Serving The Second District And The Natio=
n) 33 LIBERTY STREET NEW YORK, NY 10045. USA WEBSITE: WWW.NY.FRB.ORG//Our R=
ef: FRB/NY/TDT/US/XX15 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org NOTIFICATION O=
F CREDIT FROM BANK FEDERAL RESERVE BOARD NEW YORK. Urgent Attn: OFFICIAL NO=
TICE: this is to notify you that Series of meetings have been held on over =
the past (1) Month now with the Secretary General of the United Nations Org=
anization in United State of America, which ended Today been Thursday Dated=
28th of SEPTEMBER, It now obvious that you still haven't received your fun=
d which is now in the amount of $11,000,000.00 USD (Eleven Million United S=
tates Dollars) as a compensation award to you, due to past corrupt Governme=
ntal Officials who almost held your fund to themselves for their selfish re=
asons and some individuals who have taken advantage of your fund all in att=
empt to swindle your fund which has led to unnecessary delay in the receipt=
and so many losses from your end. The National Central Bureau of Interpol =
enhanced by the United Nations and Federal Bureau of Investigation FBI have=
successfully finalize to boost the exercise of clearing all foreign debts =
owed to those who haven't received their Compensation Awards.Now, how would=
you like to receive your payment? Because we have two Method of payment wh=
ich is by Check or by ATM card. ATM Card: We will be issuing you a custom p=
in based ATM card which you will use to withdraw up to $5000.00 USD (Five T=
housand Dollars) per day from any ATM machine that has the Master Card Logo=
on it and the card have to be renewed in 3 years time which is 2018. Also =
with the ATM card you will be able to transfer your funds to your local ban=
k account. Even if you do not have a bank account, the ATM card comes with =
a handbook or manual to enlighten you about how to use it. Check: A Cashier=
Check will be issued in your name and you will have to deposit it in your =
Bank for it to be cleared within three Working Days. Your payment would be =
sent to you via any of your preferred option above and would be mailed to y=
ou via UPS, because we have signed a contract with UPS which should expire =
(28TH) of december,2015. And you will only have to pay the sum of $350.00 D=
ollars Only(Three Hundred And Fifty Dollars). Also take note that you will =
have to stop all communication with every other person if you have been in =
contact with anyone. And remember that all you will ever have to spend is $=
350 Dollars nothing more! Nothing less! And we Guarantee the receipt of you=
r fund to be successfully delivered to you within the next 48hrs after conf=
irmation receipt of UPS fee of $350 Dollars). Note: Everything has been tak=
en care of, including Tax, Custom Paper and Clearance Duty. So, all you wil=
l ever need to pay is $350 Dollars. Kindly get back to us so that we will s=
end you our Agent payment information as and also be advice to reconfirm yo=
ur full Delivery Address to avoid any Wrong Delivery of package.Apply Your =
Claims Promptly: For immediate release of your fund valued of $11,000,000.0=
0 USD (Eleven Million United States Dollars) to you, you should contact our=
correspondent. Your Full Name:_________________________ Your House Address=
:_________________________ Home/Cell/Phone Number:___________________ Choos=
e ONE Preferable Payment Method (Visa ATM Card OR Cashier Cheque):_________=
____ Your package will be sent to you within 2 working days upon Confirmati=
on receipt of UPS fee of $350.00 Dollars. We are so sure of everything and =
we are giving you a 100% Money back Guarantee if you do not receive payment=
/ package within the next 48hrs after you have made the payment for shippi=
ng. We also Hereby Issued You Our Code Of Conduct, Which Is (FRBNYATM-2015)=
So You Have To Indicate This Code When replying back to us By Using It As =
Your Subject Because Of Impostors. Thanks for Banking with Federal Reserve =
Bank New York while we looking forward to serving you better. Thanks and Go=
d bless you Yours in Service, Mr.William C. Dudley Director Federal Reserve=
Bank New York. Leadership Bank Federal Reserve Board helps build strong co=
mmunities by creating opportunities for people -including customers, shareh=
olders and associates - to fulfill their dreams.