fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "your urgent reply" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Micheal Herman" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 07:17:52 -0800
Subject: Hello My Good Friend,
Hello My Good Friend,
My Name is Sergent Micheal Herman, I hope all is well with you? I am a soldier working as United Nations peace keeping troop in Afghanistan on war against terrorism.
I have in my possession the sum of $3.5million USD Which i made here in Afghanistan, I deposited this money with a Red Cross agent.
I want you to stand as my relation and receive the fund and keep it safe so that as soon as am through with my mission here in Afghanistan pending when the war end, you will assist me to invest it in a good profitable venture or you keep it for me until i arrive your country, I will give you 40% of the total money for your assistance after you have receive the money.
Please reply back to me if you are willing to work with me so that you can conclude with the Red Cross Agent on how you want the cash to reach you, your urgent reply is needed.
Here is my private email address : email@example.com