fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear beloved," (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Shilvock Dora" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 07:45:56 -0800
Subject: PLEASE READ
My name is Shilvock Dora, I am 59 Years old I am from Texas USA. Last year I experienced restlessness and sleepless nights so my Doctor in New York sent me on a general Medical Checkup at the Methodist hospital and I was finally diagnosed to have cancer of the Lungs.
My late husbands brother wanted me dead so that he will inherit all my wealth and that of my late Husband suffered to build because we don't have a child. As a Christian I rather donate my money to the less privilege, orphanage homes and the Church than allow wicked people to take all when I die. I like impacting positively on the welfare of the less privileged, destitute, the orphans and perhaps, the elderly requires a great deal of sincerity, love and care and most importantly fear of God, as well as to a very large extent, patient on the part of the particular individuals behind the initiative. Charity organization, also known as non-governmental organization is inadvertently, a very important result-oriented platform through which the desired and sustainable turning around of the lives of the needy in the society can be guaranteed. To a very large extent, it is a realistic instrument designed with the aim of r
endering certain free services in
Lately I discovered that my late husbands relation know about the deposited money and they are happy that I will soon die so that they can take the money for their own selfish interest , On this note I decided to give this claim information to you before I pass on to glory.
I will furnish you with all the details that will assist you in claiming the Funds deposited with the security Company. We deposited the total of US$5,600.000.00 (Five million Six Hundred Thousand united states dollars) in cash with the security company in USA.As soon as you accept my offer I will direct you to my family Lawyer here in New York, who will assist you for the money transfer processes into your bank account without any delay .
I need assurance from you that even when I die, you will not use the money wrongly and will do your best to have this fund transfer to you from the bank in USA. I will die happily if I know you will use my funds in a manner pleasing to humanity and God when you receive the fund. I have to rest now due to my unusual weakness. Please pray for me and respond urgently to my message so that I can be able to conclude the inheritance Hand over Authorization before I die.
I anxiously await your response my dear. Please Kindly reply to my private email address: firstname.lastname@example.org and send your details,