fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: "Mark" (may be fake)
Reply-To: <>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 16:10:05 -0800
Subject: Personal Assistant needed...

My name is Mark Thompson, I work for the Us Army but currently away from my family so i need someone who I can trust to help me receive payment, mails and funds on my behalf to my kids and my farm manager from my company client.  If yes, then please read carefully.
I am in the Military right now and I am also an investor in power plant project but ever since my deployment in the military service, my kids and my farm have been lacking financial cares which i have a  business i invested on before joining the military service and now that i am on service i cant really know more about the business and the person i ask in helping betrayed my trust and misused the opportunity sending funds to my kids, that why i am looking for someone honest and trustworthy to take care of the fund for me.
You will be helping me in receiving funds on my behalf, due to the fact that i can't access my account from here so i will be needing your assistance in sending money for my kids care and school fees and other expenses, and you will also be sending money to my farm manager and charity support. I need an assistant in doing this for me since I cant take care of it myself anymore. So that's why i need someone i can lay my trust on.
The position of Personal Assistant entails the following duties: acoordinate payments from our clients, receive payments which come in form of a Bank Transfer, and forward 90% of funds you receive as instructed. The remaining 10% is your wage. Since this position is need-based, you will have plenty of free time while enjoying a good income. If you know that you can be of assistance, kindly see the below details needed.
Interested applicants should reply with the information below.
Full Name:
Residential address( no p.o. box):
City/State/Zip code:
Home Phone:
Cell Phone:
E-mail address:
Are you a U.S. Citizen?
What is your credit score?
Do have permanent U.S. Resident status?
Do you own a credit card?
Driver license or Working ID
Note: I will like to know if you will like the morning or evening shift and are you able to work mon-friday? 4though this is not a problem if you can't .
Your prompt response will be appreciated.
Thank you

Anti-fraud resources: