fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Outblaze.com, Hong Kong; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Etta Kayser <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 19:29:18 -0500
Subject: MY GREETINGS
Please forgive me for stressing you with my predicaments as I know that this letter may come to you as big surprise. Truly, I came across your E-mail from my personal search afterward I decided to email you directly believing that you will be honest to fulfill my final wish before i die.
Meanwhile, I am Mrs. Etta Kayser, 62 years old, from America, and I am suffering from a long time cancer and from all indication my condition is really deteriorating as my doctors have confirmed and courageously advised me that I may not live beyond two months from now for the reason that my tumor has reached a critical stage which has defiled all forms of medical treatment. I am a registered nurse by profession while my husband was dealing on Gold Dust and Gold Dory Bars in Burkina Faso till his sudden death the year 2008 then I took over his business till date.
Actually, I have a deposit sum of four million five hundred thousand US dollars [$4,500,000.00] with one of the leading bank in Burkina Faso but unfortunately I cannot visit the bank since Iâm critically sick and powerless to do anything myself but my bank account officer advised me to assign any of my trustworthy relative, friends or partner with authorization letter to stand as the recipient of my money but sorrowfully my only beloved daughter died at the age of 19 years and I donât have any reliable relative and no other child.
Therefore, I want you to receive the money and take 50% to take care of yourself and family while 50% should be use basically on humanitarian purposes mostly to orphanages home, Motherless babies home, less privileged and disable citizens and widows around the world.
Anyway, you can write contact Barrister David Richard via [email@example.com] or through telephone,he is my resident lawyer [+22675329619],contact him to help you with my banking records and more details.
Hope to hear from you soon.