fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "i will like you to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a "New Partner from Paraguay" scam.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: arab cargo <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 19:36:15 -0500
Subject: Hello my good friend.YOUR PAST EFFORT/COMPENSATION
Hello my good friend.YOUR PAST EFFORT/COMPENSATION
How are you today? Hope all is well with you and your family? I hope
this mail meets you in a perfect condition. You may not understand why
this mail came to you. But if you do not remember me, you might have
receive an email from me in the past regarding a multi-million-dollar
business proposal which we never concluded.
I am using this opportunity to inform you that this
multi-million-dollar business has been concluded with another person
who financed it to a logical conclusion. I thank you for you're great
effort to our unfinished transfer of fund into your account due to one
reason or the other best to known you.
But I want to inform you that I have successfully transferred the fund
out of my bank to my new partner's account in Paraguay that was
capable of assisting me in this great venture. Due to your effort,
sincerity,courage and trust worthiness you showed during the course of
the transaction i want to compensate you and show my gratitude to you
with the sum of $950,000.00.
I have left an international certified Bank check for you worth about
$950,000.00 cashable anywhere in the world.My dear friend I will like
you to contact my Barrister John Duncan: for the collection of this
international certified bank check have authorized to release the
international certified bank check to you as soon as you contact him
regarding this issue.
At the moment, I 'm very busy here because of the investment projects
which myself and the new partner are having at hand. Please I will
like you to accept this token with good faith as this is from the
bottom of my heart.
Also comply with Barrister John Duncan: so that he will send the check
to you without any delay.
CONTACT: Barrister John Duncan
Therefore, you should send him your full Name and telephone number/
your address where you want him to send the Bank check to you.Please
do let me know immediately you receive it so that we can share the joy
after all the suffering at that time. In the moment,I am very busy
here because of the investment projects which me and the new partner
are having at hand.
Contact him and kindly forgive me of the past.