fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "with your full names" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: CHIEF JURGEN STOCK <"www."@etude.ocn.ne.jp>
Reply-To: CHIEF JURGEN STOCK <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 19:48:44 +0900 (JST)
Subject: FROM INTERNATIONAL INTERPOL POLICE FORCE UNIT.
FROM INTERNATIONAL INTERPOL POLICE FORCE UNIT.
YOU ARE WELCOME TO DESK OF CHIEF JURGEN STOCK, INTERNATIONAL INTERPOL POLICE
FORCE INVESTIGATION UNIT BENIN REP,WORKING TOGETHER TOWARDS A
CORRUPTION-FREE WORLD BY PROMOTING AND DEFENDING INTEGRITY, JUSTICE AND THE
RULE OF LAW' MISSION STATEMENT OF THE INTERNATIONAL ANTI-CORRUPTION
ACADEMY,WE COVER WEST AFRICAN COUNTRIES. YOU HAS REPORTED TODAY FROM WORLD
DELIVERING COURIER DEPARTMENT.
THIS IS OFFICIAL NOTICE TO YOU THAT YOUR CONSIGNMENT BOX WORTH TOTAL AMOUNT
OF $10.800,000 WHICH WAS SENT FOR YOU OVER A COUPLE OF MONTH NOW WAS
RETURNED BACK TO BENIN REPUBLIC, AFTER REPORT WAS RECEIVED FROM ( FBI )
WASHINGTON DC CAPITAL OF UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, I KNOW THAT YOU HAVE BEEN
WAITING FOR THE ARRIVAL OF YOUR CONSIGNMENT SINCE MONTHS WEEKS NOW, IT IS
UNFORTUNATE THAT IT WAS RETURNED BACK.
WE NEED YOUR ABSOLUTE CO-OPERATION RIGHT NOW BECAUSE, YOUR CONSIGNMENT BOX
WORTH TOTAL AMOUNT OF $10.800,000,,IS RIGHT NOW IN CUSTODY OF INTERPOL
POLICE FORCE UNITY BENIN REPUBLIC. DUE CORRUPTION UNDERMINES POLITICAL,
SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC STABILITY. IT THREATENS SECURITY AND DAMAGES TRUST AND
PUBLIC CONFIDENCE IN SYSTEMS WHICH AFFECT PEOPLE'S DAILY LIVES. ALTHOUGH
CORRUPTION FREQUENTLY OCCURS AT LOCAL OR NATIONAL LEVEL, ITS CONSEQUENCES
ARE GLOBAL; ITS HIDDEN COSTS IMMENSE.
AND INFORMATION WE GET FROM FEDEX DELIVERY COMPANY DELIVERY COMPANY MAN
STATED THAT HE BEEN MISSING YOUR LOCATION ALSO YOU HAS DEAD AND EVEN
EXPLAINED THAT HE ENTERED INTO AN AGREEMENT WITH YOUR FAMILIES, TO HELP THEM
RECEIVING YOUR CONSIGNMENT.AS THE WORLD'S LARGEST INTERNATIONAL INTERPOL
POLICE ORGANIZATION,IS TAKING ITS PLACE AT THE FOREFRONT OF THE FIGHT
AGAINST CORRUPTION.AFTER WE RECEIVED THE REPORTED FROM (FBI) DECIDED TO CALL
THE CONSIGNMENT BACK INTO OUR CUSTODY,JUST TO FIND THE TRUTHFUL.
IN VIEW OF THIS DEVELOPMENT, YOU ARE REQUESTED TO CONFIRM TO US IF YOU ARE
ALIVE AND ALSO FURNISH US WITH
YOUR FULL NAMES, ..................
TELEPHONE NUMBERS .......................
EMAIL AND PASSWORD.....................
TO ENABLE US DELIVER THIS CONSIGNMENT TO YOUR DOOR STEP BY INTERNATIONAL
INTERPOL POLICE FORCE UNITY IMMUNITY, WE HAVE 186 MEMBER COUNTRIES. CREATED
IN 1923, IT FACILITATES CROSS-BORDER POLICE CO-OPERATION, AND SUPPORTS AND
ASSISTS ALL ORGANIZATIONS, AUTHORITIES AND SERVICES WHOSE MISSION IS TO
PREVENT OR COMBAT .
MEANWHILE,THE DEMUR RAGE YOUR CONSIGNMENT HAS ACCUMULATED SO FAR SINCE IT
BACK INTO OUR CUSTODY IS TOTAL AMOUNT OF $90.USD AND I AM ADVISING YOU TO
BE FAST IN ALL YOUR ACTION TO AVOID MORE DEMUR RAGES. BE REST ASSURED THAT
UPON RECEIPT OF THE ABOVE INFORMATION WITH THE FEE OF $90.DOLLAR ,WE WILL
PROCEED IN DELIVERING YOUR CONSIGNMENT WHICH WILL BE ACCOMPANIED BY OUR
DELEGATE. FOR SECURITY REASONS ENDEAVOR TO INDICATE THIS ( CODE NUMBER ) (
BJ/XXL14160) THIS CODE SHOWS THAT YOU ARE THE RIGHTFUL OWNER OF THE
CONSIGNMENT BOX. CONTACT US NOW WITH THIS EMAIL...
CHIEF JURGEN STOCK
INSPECTOR GENERAL OF FRAUD INTERNATIONAL INTERPOL POLICE FORCE UNIT.
EMAIL US RIGHT NOW : firstname.lastname@example.org