fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "clearance fee" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "FEDERAL RESERVE BANK" (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 23:56:56 +0100
Subject: NOTIFICATION OF PAYMENT
FEDERAL RESERVE BANK OF NEW YORK
(Serving The Second District And The Nation)
33 LIBERTY STREET NEW YORK, NY 10045. USA
WEBSITE: WWW.NY.FRB.ORG//Our Ref: FRB/NY/TDT/US/XX15
NOTIFICATION OF CREDIT FROM BANK FEDERAL RESERVE BOARD NEW YORK.
This to Notify you that Series of meetings have been held over the past 6 months with the Secretary General of the United
Nations Organization, which ended 2 days ago. It is obvious that you have not received your fund which is now in the
amount of $11,000,000.00 USD (Eleven Million United States Dollars) as a compensation award to you, due to past corrupt
Governmental Officials who almost held your fund to themselves for their selfish reasons and some individuals who have
taken advantage of your fund all in an attempt to swindle your fund which has led to unnecessary delay in the receipt and
so many losses from your end.
The National Central Bureau of Interpol enhanced by the United Nations and Federal Bureau of Investigation have
successfully passed a mandate to the current Chairman Director Federal Reserve Bank New York USA Mrs. Janet Yellen, to
boost the exercise of clearing all foreign deberal owed to you and other individuals and organizations who have been
found not to have received their Compensation Awards.
Now, how would you like to receive your payment? Because we have two method of payment which is by Check or by ATM card?
ATM Card: We will be issuing you a custom pin based ATM card which you will use to withdraw up to $10,000 USD (Ten
Thousand Dollars) per day from any ATM machine that has the Master Card Logo on it and the card have to be renewed in 3
years time which is 2020. Also with the ATM card you will be able to transfer your funds to your local bank account. Even
if you do not have a bank account, the ATM card comes with a handbook or manual to enlighten you about how to use it.
Check: A cashier check will be issued in your name and you will deposit it in your bank for it to be cleared within two
working days.Your payment would be sent to you via any of your preferred option above and would be mailed to you via UPS.
Normally, you were supposed to pay for clearance fees and Delivery fee but every charges as been waved, the only fee you
will pay to the Accounts Department is just the Notarization charges.
Take note that you will have to stop communication with every other person if you have been in contact with any. Also
remember that all you will ever have to spend is $350 USD only. nothing more! Nothing less! And we Guarantee the receipt
of your Fund to be successfully Delivered to you within the next 48hrs after confirmation receipt fee of (UPS).
Note: Everything has been taken care of, including taxes, custom paper and clearance duty. So, all you will ever need to
pay is $350.00 Dollars only. Apply Your Claims Promptly: For immediate release of your Fund valued at $11,000,000.00 USD
(Eleven Million United States Dollars)
I want you to kindly submit the requested details following below to help us process your payment;
Your Full Name:_________________________
Your House Address:_________________________
Choose ONE Preferable Payment Method (Visa ATM Card OR Cashier Check):_____________
Your package will be sent to you within two to three working days upon Confirmation receipt of UPS fee of $350.00
Dollars. We are so sure of everything and we are giving you a 100% Money back Guarantee if you do not receive payment /
package within the next 48hrs after you have made the payment for shipping. We also Hereby Issued You Our Code Of
Conduct, Which Is (FRBNYATM-2017) So You Have To Indicate This Code When replying back to us By Using It As Your Subject
Because Of Impostors.
Thanks while we looking forward to serving you better.
NOTE : KINDLY GET BACK TO US TO GIVE YOU THE DELIVERY PAYMENT INFORMATION
Thanks and God bless you
Yours in Service,
Mr.William C. Dudley
Director Federal Reserve Bank New York, Leadership Bank Federal Reserve Board helps build strong communities by creating
opportunities for people - including customers, shareholders and associates - to fulfill their dreams.