fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "COUTTS & CO LTD" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 17:49:09 +0530
Subject: DO YOU NEED LOAN/FINANCE OFFERED AT 2% INTEREST RATE?
Coutts & Co Ltd
440 Strand, London, WC2R 0QS
Telephone:+44 7864352774 & 020 7753 1000
Fax:+44 872 110 3479
OUR REF: Coutts/UK/2017/LOANAPP
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN
* Winner: Outstanding Private Bank UK (Domestic Clients) - Private Banker International London Awards 2016
DO YOU NEED A LOAN AT 2% INTEREST RATE? Coutts & Co Ltd.,has a world-renowned reputation for a personal approach to private banking and wealth management.
Timely and flexible borrowing services for your businesss capital requirements.Coutts offers a wide range of commercial borrowing services.
We give out both Local/International Loan at just 2% annual rate of any business kind mortgage, personal & commercial, student, international loans et cetera.
We are expanding our global presence by funding projects as debt finance/loan,for as low as 2% ROI annually and up to 15 years repayment plan.
If you have any viable project that needs funding, kindly revert back to us with your business plan/executive summary for further discussion.
Contact us now with your - FULL NAMES/COMPANY NAME,TELEPHONE NUMBER,PURPOSE OF LOAN/FUND & PRESENT LOCATION via Email:email@example.com
FEEL FREE TO GIVE US A TELEPHONE CALL OR ALTERNATIVELY SEND SMS/TEXT MESSAGE TO OUR TELEPHONE NUMBER (+447864352774) FOR PROMPT ACTION.
When you become a client of Coutts, you will be part of an exclusive network.You can apply to become a Coutts client.Send us Email immediately one of our experts
will be in touch to discuss your requirements.
Chairman - Lord Waldegrave of North Hill
© Copyright Coutts & Co 2017