fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "await your urgent response" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Christopher A. Wray" <email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 09:38:37 +0700
Subject: YOUR ATM CARD IS READY ...
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR FBI
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION FBI.WASHINGTON D.C
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION SEEKING TO WIRETAP
The Federal bureau of investigation (FBI) Washington,D.C in conjunction
with some other relevant Investigations Agencies have recently been
informed through our Global intelligence monitoring network that your
over-due contract payment which was fully endorsed in your favor
accordingly by the GreenDOT INTERNATIONAL BANK has not been claimed
your ATM Master card.
It might interest you to know that we have taken out time in screening
through this project as stipulated on our protocol of operation and have
finally confirmed that your contract payment is 100% genuine and hitch
free from all facet and of which you have the lawful right to claim your
fund without any further delay. We further advise that you go ahead in
dealing with the GreenDOT INTERNATIONAL BANK Care office accordingly as
we will be monitoring all their services with you as well as your
correspondence at all level.
We were also made to understand that a lady with name Mrs. Joan C.Bailey
from OHIO has already contacted them and also presented to them all the
necessary documentation evidencing your claim purported to have been
signed personally by you prior to the release of your contract fund
valued at about $10.5million us dollars only but the Federal bureau of
investigation (FBI) Washington,D.C did the wise thing by insisting on
hearing from you personally before they go ahead on relasing your fund
to the Bank information which was forwarded to them by the above named
Lady so that the main reason why they contacted us so as to assist them
in making the investigation.
Contact immediately the office of the GreenDOT INTERNATIONAL BANK via
email with the below information accordingly:
Take note that this trasaction will cost you 495$usd only,Remember there
is no upfront payment of any kind.
Contact Accounting officer:Jerry Clayton
Meanwhile, we will advise that you contact the office of the GreenDOT
INTERNATIONAL BANK immediately with the above email address and request
that they attend to your payment file as directed,so as to enable you
receive your contract fund accordingly.
To this effect, you are required to reconfirm and authenticate your
given particulars below for certainty and onward processing and release
of you funds as we may not be held liable for any wrong payment.
FULL NAMES: __________________________________
TELEPHONE NUMBER: _____________________
A copy of identification _________________________
Ensure you follow all their procedure as may be required by them as that
will further help hasten up the whole procedure as regard to the
transfer of your fund to you as designated.
Thank you very much for your anticipated co-operation in advance as we
earnestly await your urgent response to this matter.
Christopher A. Wray
Federal Bureau of Investigation
J. Edgar Hoover Building
935 Pennsylvania Avenue,
NW Washington, D.C.