fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "economic and financial crime commission" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Eric Albert" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 21:36:17 +0200
Subject: NOTIFICATION OF PAYMENT..
NOTIFICATION OF PAYMENT VIA ATM CARD
UNITED NATIONS FUND TRANSFER
ZENITH BANK COMPENSATION UNIT, IN AFFILIATION WITH THE UNITED NATIONS.
PAYMENT NOTIFICATION OF YOUR FUND.
Please read this mail carefully and proceed to collect your ATM CARD worth US$4.500,000.00 payment.
Following the last year review of the global financial matters and just concluded investigations today by the Federal Bureau of Investigation in conjunction with the ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION (E.F.C.C), it is revealed that your email is among the list of people who have never received any of their payments among lottery, inheritance, compensation and awarded contract funds and victims who have lost a lot of money to scammers while trying to claim their funds.
In view of the foregoing, a new payment of US$4.500,000.00 has been approved in your favor and credited into an ATM CARD which shall be deliver to you.
Note: Thousands of fraudsters have been using this method in scamming most foreigner creditors that we have in the payment list here in our office. We use this medium to inform you that any mail that do not come with the new communication code: NG/.CCUF -HFCR-/RLPHJ/.is false. In this case, youâre advised not to respond to any mail that does not come with the above communication code for safety purpose.
Our final conclusion was that, the fund should be paid to you via an automated teller machine card (ATM) as it seems, this will be easier and faster for you to receive payment.
Your new communication code: NG/.CCUF -HFCR-/RLPHJ/.Do complete the below details for proper verification and documentation also Reconfirm the followings.
1. Full Names:
2. Residence address:
3. Telephone/Fax number:
5. Country of Residence:
7. A copy of your driverâs license / international passport: Attached
This required information will be form the basis of delivery schedule. Once we receive the information your Funds will be shipped immediately after clearance.
Thanks for your anticipated cooperation as we look forward in hearing from you.
Swift Debit ATM Card Payment System
Presidential Committee On Foreign Payments