fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr.Henry Nwosu." (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 01:45:00 +0330
Subject: Attention: Beneficiary,
Due to the Federal Government new Policy to fight corruption. I want
to bring to your Notice that the President of the Federal Republic of
Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari, has Mandated that all the Overdue Foreign
Payment should be Paid to the Beneficiary not Letter than 25th of November
We are very sorry for all the stress/Fees you spent to the Fraudulent
Officials who claim to be a Good Nigeria, Nigerian Image has been
tarnished in the eye of the International Authorities, so Mr President
Has Promised the International Authorities in the G8 Summit Meeting
held in South Africa recently, that he will make sure that all the
Payment owed by Nigerian Government will be paid to the Foreign
Beneficiary without any Further Delay.
I want to Inform you that A Certified Draft of ( US$2M } or ATM Card
will be Made available to you, We therefore Request you to Reconfirm
the Information as stated Bellow:
(1) YOUR FULL NAME / ADDRESS
(2) YOUR DIRECT TEL/FAX NUMBER
(3) YOUR NATIONALITY / IDENTITY CARD
(4) YOUR AGE
(5) YOUR OCCUPATION.
(6) MODE OF PAYMENT ( ATM CARD OR CERTIFIED DRAFT) Choose one Mode of Payment.
You should reply Immediately with the Information if you really want
to receive this Certified Draft or ATM Card before the Closing Date,
Reply Directly to the Bellow Email Address:
( email@example.com ) and Let Me Know Your Stands as well as
sending the Information.
Thanks For Your Understanding,