fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "with absolute secrecy" (scammers urge victims to keep the transaction secret because they don't want anyone to point out to them that it is a scam)
- "you are advise to" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: INVESTMENT PROPOSAL <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 14:19:58 -0800
Subject: INVESTMENT PROPOSAL
Good day to you and your family. I apologize if the content here under are contrary to your moral ethics but please treat with absolute secrecy and personal. My name is Engr. Dr. Ahmad Mualla from Damascus Syria. I am a retired government official and was former personal investor & financial consultant adviser to some top politicians in Syria, also an oil tycoon from Syria and Saudi Arabia. Al Furat Petroleum Company (AFPC) the leader in the region in Reservoir Management AFPC was established under Service Contract no. 210 ratified by Law no. 43 of 1977 and named as per decree-law no.12 in 1985.
AFPC is a joint venture company between the General Petroleum Corporation (50%) and private shareholders of Syria Shell Petroleum Development ( SSPD ) etc. I have plan to relocate my investment planning to your beautiful country, out of Syria, Now that Syria security and our Economic independent has been lost to the greatest lower level, and our culture has been lost forever and our happiness has been taken away from us. I will like to relocate my family out from Syria. Here in my country there is fire on the mountain and I need a foreign partner to enable me transport my investment capital and then relocate with my family. Honestly I wish you and I will discuss more and get along. I need a partner because I don't have any bank account outside Syria. I am interested in buying properties; houses, Building real estate and some tourist places. I will appreciate your ideas and knowledge regarding this or any other profitable investment you may suggest. On my next email I will explain to you the full details of this investment.
I shall tell you more about myself and my family on my next email upon your response, you may as well tell me little more about yourself.
For easy response , you are advise to send your reply to my private email address : email@example.com