fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "abidjan" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Ariana Konane <email@example.com>
Reply-To: Ariana Konane <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 16:49:58 +0900 (JST)
Subject: From Miss.Ariana Konane,
From Miss.Ariana Konane,
In confidence,i have to introduce myself for i am Miss.Ariana Konane, 21 years old, I am the only daughter of late Mr & Mrs.Wilfried Konane. I prayed before contacting you, please for God sake do not see my mail as an embarrassment as we do not know each other before.
I wish to request for your assistance in my efforts to procure the transfer of my inherited money for investment ventures under your care and directive,while i will continue my education there in your country. I inherited Four Million,Five Hundred Thousand Dollars ($4,500,000.00) here in my name with one of the prime bank in my country and I will require your assistance in receiving the transfer of my inherited money in your local account for investment purposes,as it is my wish to come over to your country to further my education while you take care of the investment of the money.
Please i am an orphan and i need your assistance to transfer my inherited money to your country and also your assistance to secure a nice school for me in your country where I will continue my education.Please I did not comfortable here because of my wicked and greedy uncles ,The uncles has took away all my father's properties and now looking means to have an access on my inheritance,This is reason I requested for your assistance to have my inherited money transfer to your custody for an investment under your care and directive,Then after the transfer I will come over there in your country and live a brighter life also further on my education in any medical university as I want to study medicine to been a medical doctor in my life.
Thanks so much.
I am waiting to hear from you for more details.