fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from: the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "foreign service manager" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 10:09:50 -0800
FROM: THE DESK OF THE SENIOR VICE VPRESIDENT
FIFA Council and Bureau of the Council =
2018 FIFA World Cup Russia/ Prize Award =
International Promotions Claims award department.
We are delighted to inform you that your e-mail have won(=20AC2,615,000.00=
Euro) in our 2017/ 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia=2122 FIFA World Cup Prepara=
tions Software email lottery(email) draws.
Please note that your lucky winning number falls within our SPAIN Booklet r=
epresentative.And also be informed that 10% of your Winning belongs to (FIN=
A SECURITY FINANCE COMPANY S.L) because they are the promotion company that=
bought your ticket and played the lottery on your name, this ten percent w=
ill be paid only after you have received your awarded prize (money) in your=
designated bank account of your choice, Three (3) certificates are to be i=
ssued to you by the EUROPE Local Government Tax Authority, FIFA Council and=
Bureau of the Council of Interior, to back up your winning. Your agent wil=
l direct you further on the administrative requirement to enable the bank r=
elease your fund to the designated choice of yours,all prize money must be =
claimed not later than 31ST DECEMBER,2017.Any claim not made will cancelled
To file for claim, please contact below:
To begin your Fifa lottery claims, =
FINA SECURITY FINANCE COMPANY S.L
TEL N=BA: +34902848116
MR,Sanchos Cozumel, =
The foreign service manager,
You are to establish contact with the Following details ,Kindly Confirm You=
I WANT TO BE PAID BY: (A) (BANK TRANSFER) =
(B) (CHEQUE) =
BANK INFORMATIONS, ONLY IF YOU WANT TO BE PAID BY (A) OPTION.
Gianni Infantino =
FIFA PRESIDENT =