fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 15:35:22 +0100
Subject: Contact for your Payment to this email ( email@example.com )
United Nation Compensation unit 2017/2018 During the course of our
investigation we discovered that you are among to receive a
Compensation sum of $1.200.000 from United Nation Compensation unit
2017/2018 ,The United Nation office deposited your compensation fund to
ATM VISA CARD Please Contact with your delivery information such as,Your
Name, Your Address and Your Telephone Number: Contact our Office
Secretary Name: Mr Devid Mike Email:
firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: +229 9661 6188 Ask him to
send you the VISA ATM CARD containing your total Fund of $1.200.000, One
million two hundred thousand dollars.
ï»¿Mr: Donadi Gooodluck
For United Nation Compensation unit 2017/2018