fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "we advice you" (this email uses bad English)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "MRS. MELANIA TRUMP" <WWW.@jewel.ocn.ne.jp>
Reply-To: "MRS. MELANIA TRUMP" <email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 12:59:22 +0900 (JST)
Subject: LAST NOTICE FROM MRS. MELANIA TRUMP
ON BEHALF AND AUTHORIZED RIGHT OF PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP. I ' M MELANIA TRUMP AND THE CONTENT OF BELLOW MESSAGE IS SIGNED AND APPROVED BY UNITED BANK OF AMERICA.
Moreover, in respect of fact the sum of $60 million united state dollars was instructed to transfer on your favor through ATM VISA MASTER CARD, and I wish to let you know that every necessary things has been accessed by IMF on the economic recovery program done
By united state embassy in government house of Benin for victim who lost fund to con African artist, and you have nothing to be worried about. Bellow is the required information I need from you so that the delivery of your ATM VISA MASTER CARD will commence immediately today,
Your home address_____________
Your current cell phone number____
Your nearest airport______________
We advice you to prohibit any other transaction you are having with an unknown source to avoid regret there after. And we urge you to comply fast with the managerial demands so that you can have your legit ATM book with immediate effect as instructed from White house(Washington DC)
Thanks and always be bless
MRS. MELANIA TRUMP