fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "(efcc)" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- consultant name: mr alberto cruz toress email: firstname.lastname@example.org direct line: +1 (315) 294-0539 make sure you call alberto (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Ibrahim Mustafa Magu" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 17:05:19 -0500
Subject: Financial Consultant About Your Transfer
Congratulation Once again regarding your abandoned unclaimed consignment here at our airport storage vault,But why have you kept me silence for this long my Friend? Well, be advised that since I did not hear from you all this while regarding the delivery of your abandoned package, and now, the Customs are commencing their Quarterly Routine Check on undelivered/abandoned package next week, so to avoid confiscation or re-direction of your package.
This is to inform you that the fund was deposited with the Continental National Bank and I am giving you the contact of the Financial Consultant under the Continental National Bank who is in charge of the fund with the Continental National Bank , make sure you contact him because he will help you get your $3 million United States dollars which has been deposited in an Escrow Account.
Office Name: Albert Financial Consultant
Name: Mr Alberto Cruz Toress
Direct Line: +1 (315) 294-0539
Make sure you call Alberto Cruz Torres and send him to his office email or alternative private email Albertocruz11@gmail.com he is the person in charge of the transfer of your fund And also Here is the Confirmation that your $3 Million Dollars has been transfer to Mr. Alberto Torres.
Call and Follow up the Instruction to confirm your Funds with Mr. Alberto in the State
Phone: (347) 348-0489
Account Number = 301083310 |
Access Code = 08670 |
Hope you recognize my effort and money spent so far in this process, upon your final transferring of your fund and confirmation in your account don't fail to keep me posted.
Endeavor to open communication with the aforementioned individual upon receipt of this letter in order to have this matter done with ASAP.
Congratulation and i await to hear from you.
Mr. Ibrahim Mustafa Magu
CHAIRMAN ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME