fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "diplomatic agent" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Diplomat LordRuben" <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 02:26:58 -0700
I am Diplomat Lord S Ruben; United Nation Diplomat Agent in charge for your
delivery. I have been trying to reach you about an hour now just to inform you
about my successful arrival John F. Kennedy International Airport with
your two consignment boxes containing USD$ 10,500,000.00 (Ten million Five
hundred thousand Dollars) which I have been instructed by United Nation and the
compensation award committee to be deliver to you. The Airport authority
demanded for all the legal back up papers to prove to them that the fund is no
way related with drug nor fraud money, I have presented the papers I handed to
them and they are very much pleased with the papers I presented but the only
thing that is still keeping me here is the airport delivery Tag which is not
placed on the boxes,
one of the Airport Authority has advise that we get the delivery tag so that I
can exit the airport immediately and make my delivery successful .I try to
reason with them and they stated the delivery tag will cost us just $250
Dollars only to get the two tag placed on the boxes as that tag will enable me
get to your house successfully without any interference.
Please try and reach me with +1 917 444 3213 as I can not afford to spend more
time here due to other delivery I have to take care of in Bangkok. I have the
documents backing up your consignment as I can accompany you to your bank were
you will deposit the fund successfully with these papers without any stress. I
have more vital paper with me but I can only present you the hard copy when I
reach your house as that itâs the diplomatic rules.
You can direct the tag fee to our Head Office as they will get it here for you
and they are entitled to receive and make any payment to foreign countries
authority. Please re-confirm your residential address to me to avoid mistake.
Your Full Name:â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦
Your Current address:â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦.
Direct telephone Number:â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦..Home/office# Fax:â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦..
Closest Int. Airport:â¦â¦â¦â¦..
Upon confirmation of your details your will receive instruction on how to make
the payment for the delivery tag that will be placed on the boxes. Once this is
confirmed I will proceed with delivery immediately.
Looking forward to hearing from you and congratulations once again.
Diplomat Lord S Ruben
United Nation Diplomatic Agent
godosu benin. Unit.